How hard it is to integrate Coffeescript on Qooxdoo?

How hard it is to integrate Coffeescript on Qooxdoo?

Phyo Arkar
Has anyone tried? Any success story?

Coz i am going to use PythonJS inside qooxdoo if it is possible.

I can't find a way to integrate , yet , unless compiled.

If we can map PythonJS's OO with QxOO , it can work?

Re: How hard it is to integrate Coffeescript on Qooxdoo?

John Spackman-3
Hi Phyo

Your subject said CoffeeScript but the message said PythonJS?  I presume you meant just one or the other?

In theory using a transpiler like CS should be fine (someone here has already had success with Typescript), but perhaps that’s partly because CS (as I understand it, I’ve not used it myself) is designed to map pretty clearly into JS; converting from Python into JS, I’d be concerned that something would be lost in the translation and you might find yourself unable to integrate certain things or having to resort to low level hacks to get stuff working.

On a practical level debugging your app could be a problem unless there are suitable source mappings (that work) and there’s presumably duplication between runtimes.  On top of that, to try and get PythonJS’s object model (which may be internal/undocumented and subject to change?) integrating with Qx would presumably need modifications to PythonJS’s transpiler and runtime – a potentially major undertaking.

How about using Babel to be able to code your app in ES6?  Then everything is pure Javascript (yay!) and you can code to the future standards of the web.

John

Re: How hard it is to integrate Coffeescript on Qooxdoo?

Phyo Arkar
If someone can integrate Coffeescript in qooxdoo , PythonJS will be fine too. But PythonJS is just very new kid , nobody know it yet.

PythonJS transpiler from Rusthon  by Harts Antler , is 100% compatible with JS , just like Coffeescript .  https://github.com/rusthon/Rusthon

ES6 classes aren't compatible with qooxdoo class system. So we have to ditch qooxdoo if we want to use ES6 right?  And , frankly , i do not like javascript at all. I Tried to love it for 14 years , but i just can't lol :D , even tho Qxdoo made javascript much much better.

I just can't wait WebAssembly , and other langauges porting to compile webasm.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 3:51 PM, John Spackman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You probably can’t integrate the Qx class system with ES6 class system (not without a lot of framework changes anyway) but you can use ES6 with Qx, there’s lots more to ES6 than just classes and Qx classes have some really useful features that ES6 does not have, eg properties and events.

I don’t see how you’re going to get away from Javascript by using PythonJS – all the core source code and all the contribs and all the docs will be in JS.  But good luck with it, let us know how you get on :)

Re: How hard it is to integrate Coffeescript on Qooxdoo?

Tom Saddul
I recommend using qx-typed (https://github.com/jbaron/qx-typed).  The latest updates can be found in https://github.com/jbaron/cats.  Typescript is simply Javascript with types.  It builds on top of Javascript so the transition is easy and almost negligible especially since all Javascript libraries can be used without changes.

I do not like Javascript too but loves Typescript now.  Many ES6 features are now supported by Typescript.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 7:29 PM, John Spackman <[hidden email]> wrote:
You probably can’t integrate the Qx class system with ES6 class system (not without a lot of framework changes anyway) but you can use ES6 with Qx, there’s lots more to ES6 than just classes and Qx classes have some really useful features that ES6 does not have, eg properties and events.

I agree , i will work on it with help of PythonJS developer quite soon. Yeah , qx class system is one of the best OO , ever seen . I like it much more than King of OO , Java.

>I don’t see how you’re going to get
away from Javascript by using PythonJS – all the core source code and all the contribs and all the docs will be in JS.  But good luck with it, let us know how you get on :)

I am not sure what you mean by that. Here is an example Pure Python(JS) Threejs based 3D Editor : https://github.com/PythonJS/PythonJS/blob/master/regtests/html/threepy.py

The result :