How do you properly do collapse/open animations of widgets in qooxdoo.

How do you properly do collapse/open animations of widgets in qooxdoo.

Sanne Peters
Hi everyone,

Here at Realtime Solutions we heavily use qooxdoo Desktop for our webapp and it is wonderful in terms of programming. UI and UX wise it does leave something to be desired, but I have seen work on that, so that is happening.

Right now we're starting to use animations to help the user keep track of the behaviour of the app (mental mapping), but I keep falling back to simply using .hide() and .show().
The main reason for this is that i would like to use collapsing animations to gradually (speeds of 0.2 seconds) show widgets by collapsing and opening them. In native css transitions you would use maxHeight and maxWidth for this, which effects would be directly communicated the rest of the layout, but I know qooxdoo does layouting internally with javascript.

The question is, how do I let the rest of the layout know that widget layout properties have been updated and that it needs to respond accordingly?

Or should I take a different approach alltogether?

Re: How do you properly do collapse/open animations of widgets in qooxdoo.

N. Schröder
Hello Sanne,

I've been using the .fadeIn() method of qooxdoo widgets quite a lot recently (http://demo.qooxdoo.org/devel/apiviewer/#qx.ui.core.Widget~fadeIn!method_public), even as a replacement for collapsing animations (cf. "References" at http://scro34.de). It's not what I actually would like to have, but in terms of mental mapping it's better than just calling .show() - and it's very easy to handle programmatically.

BTW: The corresponding .fadeOut() method doesn't seem to work properly (don't ask me why, I still didn't find the time to have a closer at this matter).

Best regards,

  Norbert