Gallery in 0.8

12

Gallery in 0.8

Petr Kobalíček
Hi developers,

Will be something like Gallery in qx0.8 ?

I think that this widget is quite useful.

Cheers
- Petr

Re: Gallery in 0.8

Sebastian Werner
Petr,

It's useful. Sure. The issue with it was that it has never got any
love after its initial release with 0.5 years ago. Today one would
build such a widget with the layout system or render it as a virtual
widget like the Table does. Maybe we have such a widget with a follow
up release, but this depends on requests in our company or a
contributor building such a widget.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Am 22.08.2008 um 08:01 schrieb Petr Kobalíček:

> Hi developers,
>
> Will be something like Gallery in qx0.8 ?
>
> I think that this widget is quite useful.
>
> Cheers
> - Petr

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: Gallery in 0.8

Petr Kobalíček
Hi Sebastian,

I'm created server filesystem viewer and I'm use it like popup to
select files, images, ... . Only think that's missing is preview of
images. I'm looked at gallery and it look's simple to implement with.

So I have last question, how is the simplest way to do simple image
preview ? For me, i'm considering HtmlEmbed and manually adding DIVs
with float:left, but if there is something betterm I would like to
know about it.

Thank you
- Petr

2008/8/22 Sebastian Werner <[hidden email]>:

> Petr,
>
> It's useful. Sure. The issue with it was that it has never got any
> love after its initial release with 0.5 years ago. Today one would
> build such a widget with the layout system or render it as a virtual
> widget like the Table does. Maybe we have such a widget with a follow
> up release, but this depends on requests in our company or a
> contributor building such a widget.
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastian
>

> Am 22.08.2008 um 08:01 schrieb Petr Kobalíček:
>
>> Hi developers,
>>
>> Will be something like Gallery in qx0.8 ?
>>
>> I think that this widget is quite useful.
>>
>> Cheers
>> - Petr

>> challenge
>> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
>> great prizes
>> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
>> the world

Re: Gallery in 0.8

oetiker
> 2008/8/22 Sebastian Werner <[hidden email]>:
> > Petr,
> >
> > It's useful. Sure. The issue with it was that it has never got any
> > love after its initial release with 0.5 years ago. Today one would
> > build such a widget with the layout system or render it as a virtual
> > widget like the Table does. Maybe we have such a widget with a follow
> > up release, but this depends on requests in our company or a
> > contributor building such a widget.

I have used gallery in a graph viewer project (actually the not yet
released smokeping in qooxdoo prototype). It was ideal for a
scalable layout where many small graphs were shown. Realy sad to
see it go away in 0.8 it was one of über-cool features of qooxdoo,
allowing me to easily implement things that were realy hard with
plain html. (having to rely on float left css and such).

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: Gallery in 0.8

Tobias Oetiker schrieb:

>> 2008/8/22 Sebastian Werner <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Petr,
>>>
>>> It's useful. Sure. The issue with it was that it has never got any
>>> love after its initial release with 0.5 years ago. Today one would
>>> build such a widget with the layout system or render it as a virtual
>>> widget like the Table does. Maybe we have such a widget with a follow
>>> up release, but this depends on requests in our company or a
>>> contributor building such a widget.
>>>

> I have used gallery in a graph viewer project (actually the not yet
> released smokeping in qooxdoo prototype). It was ideal for a
> scalable layout where many small graphs were shown. Realy sad to
> see it go away in 0.8 it was one of über-cool features of qooxdoo,
> allowing me to easily implement things that were realy hard with
> plain html. (having to rely on float left css and such)
As Sebastian already said, we dropped the gallery for 0.8 because we
thought it is not used all that much and since it is largely based on
low level DOM manipulations if does not fit well into 0.8 - at least not
without significant refactoring. For the 0.8 final we are now in feature
freeze so the gallery will not be in this release.

For the near term I see two possibilities:

1. Implement a qooxdoo flow layout so it will be easy to write any
gallery like widget using qooxdoo
  1.1 Write a gallery using this flow layout
2. Do a direct port of the gallery to 0.8 (probably as part of
qooxdoo-contrib)

Both tasks are not really complicated but it needs someone to do it. We
don't currently plan to work on any of these items. It would be great if
one of you is willing to step in and work on one of this items.

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstraße 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss

Re: Gallery in 0.8

Chris Banford

Tobias Oetiker schrieb:

[...]

Best Fabian

Hi list,

Although not in a position to make any commitments (due to work & serious lack of qooxdoo knowledge!), I also will need to have a "flow" layout for building an Image Manager style component -- I'd be willing to take a look at building such a thing (actually, already have looked at it), but to undertake this properly, I'll need the 0.8 documentation to be a bit further along, and possibly (for sure) some help from more experienced qooxdoo devs...

Might be a good introduction for me for how the layout system works.

Any thoughts / feedback, as always, welcome :-)

Cheers,
-Chris

PS. I also put my vote in for some good docs on how the Theming system works in 0.8 -- I've sub-classed Window with the goal of making a slightly different version of it, and it worked fantastically well considering my noob status, but changing its appearance is totally beyond me (I got lost in a trail of Theme classes last night...)

Re: Gallery in 0.8

Chris Banford schrieb:

>>> I have used gallery in a graph viewer project (actually the not yet
>>> released smokeping in qooxdoo prototype). It was ideal for a
>>> scalable layout where many small graphs were shown. Realy sad to
>>> see it go away in 0.8 it was one of über-cool features of qooxdoo,
>>> allowing me to easily implement things that were realy hard with
>>> plain html. (having to rely on float left css and such)
>>>
>> As Sebastian already said, we dropped the gallery for 0.8 because we
>> thought it is not used all that much and since it is largely based on
>> low level DOM manipulations if does not fit well into 0.8 - at least not
>> without significant refactoring. For the 0.8 final we are now in feature
>> freeze so the gallery will not be in this release.
>>
>> For the near term I see two possibilities:
>>
>> 1. Implement a qooxdoo flow layout so it will be easy to write any
>> gallery like widget using qooxdoo
>>   1.1 Write a gallery using this flow layout
>> 2. Do a direct port of the gallery to 0.8 (probably as part of
>> qooxdoo-contrib)
>>
>> Both tasks are not really complicated but it needs someone to do it. We
>> don't currently plan to work on any of these items. It would be great if
>> one of you is willing to step in and work on one of this items.
>>

>> Best Fabian
>>

> Hi list,
>
> Although not in a position to make any commitments (due to work &
> serious lack of qooxdoo knowledge!), I also will need to have a "flow"
> layout for building an Image Manager style component -- I'd be willing
> to take a look at building such a thing (actually, already have looked
> at it), but to undertake this properly, I'll need the 0.8
> documentation to be a bit further along, and possibly (for sure) some
> help from more experienced qooxdoo devs...
>
> Might be a good introduction for me for how the layout system works.
>
> Any thoughts / feedback, as always, welcome :-)
This would be great. If you need any help on this let me know. Our focus
for the documentation is currently focused on basic stuff like how to
build a qooxdoo application and how to USE layout manager. The
documentation of how to write a layout manager is not yet in the wiki. A
good general introduction to 0.8 is the GUI development article
<http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/ui_overview>.

I did an internal presentation on layout managers some time ago. You can
find the slides on our homepage
<http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-08-layout-concepts>. Some things
however have changed in the mean time. Most importantly I state in the
presentation that children are added to the layouts and not to the
widgets. This is no longer true. Widgets are always added to other
widgets. Layout managers are used compute the preferred size of the
widget and to position its children. On the other hand the general
algorithm of computing the layout has not changed. This might be
interesting for you. To get a feeling how a layout manager looks like
you should take a look at the code of the simple layout managers like
"Grow", "Atom" or "Basic".

Best Fabian

Fabian Jakobs wrote:
Chris Banford schrieb:

Tobias Oetiker schrieb:

[...]

I'll take a look at your layout-concepts to see if that helps me along at all. Most of my issues at the moment are probably due to the fact that I haven't actually done any real coding with qooxdoo -- I'm hoping as I play around with 0.8 that I'll be able to figure out some of the basics, such as the layout system.

Really excited about 0.8 -- have to keep forcing myself to stop playing with it and go to bed before its 5am (again!).

-Chris

Flow layout for 0.8

Chris Banford

[...]

Hi List,

I've got a very rough version of a Flow layout working (similar to float: left in CSS, but nicer :-) ).

I'm sure its still a terrible hack, but really kinda cool I can figure this type of thing out with basically zero  qooxdoo experience (speaks bands for the quality of the underlying code).

Here's a quick screen shot showing some buttons of differing height wrapping around to to the left of the container.

A question for the qooxdoo devs: what is conceptually the best way to calculate _computeSizeHint() ?
At the moment I've just copied the method from Grow, but I don't really know what it should be returning for something like a Flow layout.

-Chris

Flow layout.jpg (52K) Download Attachment

Re: Flow layout for 0.8

Chris Banford

Assuming I can get this layout to a usable stage, what are the requirements for such a beast?

This is what I can think of off-hand:
  • The layout should respect any padding added to the elements it manages.
  • Each wrap of elements should to a new 'row' should clear all elements above it (see how button #6 drops under button #3 in the attached screen shot).
  • Left, Right & Center alignment of the flow.
Anything else obvious that I'm missing?

Cheers,
-Chris

Flow layout 2.jpg (30K) Download Attachment

Re: Flow layout for 0.8

Sebastian Werner

-- snip --

>> -Chris
>
> Hi List,
>
> I've got a very rough version of a Flow layout working (similar to
> float: left in CSS, but nicer :-) ).

That's definitely hot. Wow.

> I'm sure its still a terrible hack, but really kinda cool I can
> figure this type of thing out with basically zero  qooxdoo
> experience (speaks bands for the quality of the underlying code).

Writing new layouts is basically a lot easier in 0.8 and hopefully
would not cost to much for the basic feature set :)

> Here's a quick screen shot showing some buttons of differing height
> wrapping around to to the left of the container.
>
> A question for the qooxdoo devs: what is conceptually the best way
> to calculate _computeSizeHint() ?
> At the moment I've just copied the method from Grow, but I don't
> really know what it should be returning for something like a Flow
> layout.

Basically it's the same you do in the layout process, but without
layouting. The problem in a Flow Layout is that the height depends on
the available width. This is somewhat comparable to a multi-line
Label. I am not sure how to solve this best in a Flow layout. Let's
talk about this method again next week.

The method does not need a real implementation. When you can live
without auto-sizing which you normally can in a Flow layout, you can
simply return null.

Sebastian

> -Chris
>

> <Flow
> layout
> .jpg

Re: Flow layout for 0.8

Chris Banford
Sebastian Werner wrote:
-- snip --

Basically it's the same you do in the layout process, but without
layouting. The problem in a Flow Layout is that the height depends on
the available width. This is somewhat comparable to a multi-line
Label. I am not sure how to solve this best in a Flow layout. Let's
talk about this method again next week.

The method does not need a real implementation. When you can live
without auto-sizing which you normally can in a Flow layout, you can
simply return null.

Sebastian

Thanks for the infos Sebastian -- just what I was looking for.

Go and enjoy your weekend! All our pleas for help can wait until Monday (or later). :-)

-Chris

Re: Flow layout for 0.8

Sebastian Werner

Am 22.08.2008 um 20:03 schrieb Chris Banford:

Assuming I can get this layout to a usable stage, what are the requirements for such a beast?

This is what I can think of off-hand:
  • The layout should respect any padding added to the elements it manages.
That's automatically done for you. This is part of each widget :)

What you need to support for a full-supported layout is margins and alignments (all of them are implemented through LayoutItem) and should be respected by every layout.

In a flow layout only alignY makes sense as the x-position is given through the flow. AlignY can move the widget in the area for this widget from top to bottom or in the middle etc. But I do not think that this is too important in a Flow Layout.

More interesting is the support for margins. There are a few helper methods for computing the sum of all gaps etc. in qx.ui.layout.Util, but I do not now how valid they are because of the floating to the next row.

A spacing property on the layout, not on the widgets, would also be a good idea. Often it's useful to have the same distance from each other applied to all widgets. This could be implemented as two properties: spacingX and spacingY. You can see it done this way in the "Dock" layout.

  • Each wrap of elements should to a new 'row' should clear all elements above it (see how button #6 drops under button #3 in the attached screen shot).
  • Left, Right & Center alignment of the flow.

Do you mean alignX for the whole flow layout? This maybe an option. The HBox allows the same.

Sebastian

Anything else obvious that I'm missing?

Cheers,
-Chris

<Flow layout 2.jpg>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/_______________________________________________

Re: Flow layout for 0.8

Chris Banford
Sebastian Werner wrote:

Am 22.08.2008 um 20:03 schrieb Chris Banford:

Assuming I can get this layout to a usable stage, what are the requirements for such a beast?

This is what I can think of off-hand:
  • The layout should respect any padding added to the elements it manages.
That's automatically done for you. This is part of each widget :)

Whoops -- sorry, I meant margin and not padding (bit short on sleep the last days, and brain is fuzzier than normal).

What you need to support for a full-supported layout is margins and alignments (all of them are implemented through LayoutItem) and should be respected by every layout.

Will go dig around in LayoutItem and see if I can figure it out from some of the many other layouts...

In a flow layout only alignY makes sense as the x-position is given through the flow. AlignY can move the widget in the area for this widget from top to bottom or in the middle etc. But I do not think that this is too important in a Flow Layout.

Yes, that's what I was also thinking. If I can get this working at all I'll be right impressed with myself! (no need for getting to complex by adding an alignX yet).

More interesting is the support for margins. There are a few helper methods for computing the sum of all gaps etc. in qx.ui.layout.Util, but I do not now how valid they are because of the floating to the next row.

A spacing property on the layout, not on the widgets, would also be a good idea. Often it's useful to have the same distance from each other applied to all widgets. This could be implemented as two properties: spacingX and spacingY. You can see it done this way in the "Dock" layout.

Just saw the spacing on other layouts after I posted. If I get the other bits to work, will try the spacing too. As the other layouts are so clean and simple, its really quite easy to pull out the related bits, once one has grokked how things fit together.

  • Each wrap of elements should to a new 'row' should clear all elements above it (see how button #6 drops under button #3 in the attached screen shot).
  • Left, Right & Center alignment of the flow.

Do you mean alignX for the whole flow layout? This maybe an option. The HBox allows the same.

Yup alignX it is! :-) .

Really fun to be learning this stuff, and also have the (small) possibility to contribute something already. Very cool indeed.

-Chris

Re: Flow layout for 0.8

Chris Banford
Have gotten the Flow layout to respect child Margins -- Yeay!  :-) .

Next up is to handle alignX : [ "left", "center", "right" ]

As this little project seriously needs to be refactored (I'd like to try
and match the coding style of Fabian and Sebastian's H/VBoxes), its time
for me to head off dreamland -- no playing until 5am tonight!

-Chris

Re: Flow layout for 0.8

Jim Hunter
If I may suggest one future additional property, it would be vertical alignment within each row ["top", "middle", "botton"]. I cludged something like this in .7.x because I have a need for bottom aligned objects. I can look up the code to give you hints on how I did it if needed.

Thanks,
Jim

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Chris Banford <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have gotten the Flow layout to respect child Margins -- Yeay!  :-) .

Next up is to handle alignX : [ "left", "center", "right" ]

As this little project seriously needs to be refactored (I'd like to try
and match the coding style of Fabian and Sebastian's H/VBoxes), its time
for me to head off dreamland -- no playing until 5am tonight!

-Chris

Jim Hunter

DAILY THOUGHT: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD
FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Re: Flow layout for 0.8

Petr Kobalíček
Hi Chris,

is your work downloadable ? Demo would be nice :-)

2008/8/23 Jim Hunter <[hidden email]>:

> If I may suggest one future additional property, it would be vertical
> alignment within each row ["top", "middle", "botton"]. I cludged something
> like this in .7.x because I have a need for bottom aligned objects. I can
> look up the code to give you hints on how I did it if needed.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
>

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Chris Banford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Have gotten the Flow layout to respect child Margins -- Yeay!  :-) .
>>
>> Next up is to handle alignX : [ "left", "center", "right" ]
>>
>> As this little project seriously needs to be refactored (I'd like to try
>> and match the coding style of Fabian and Sebastian's H/VBoxes), its time
>> for me to head off dreamland -- no playing until 5am tonight!
>>
>> -Chris

>> challenge
>> prizes
>> world

> Jim Hunter
>
> DAILY THOUGHT: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD
> FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Re: Flow layout for 0.8

Chris Banford
Hi Petr,

At some point it will be, but this is the *first* thing I've ever tried
to to in qooxdoo, and as such is rather a mess :-)

I've got to go back to real work today (at least for a while), but as
soon as I've got the Flow layouter working with its AlignX I'll see what
I can do about putting it up online, or maybe just posting the code on
the list (its pretty simple stuff actually). Give me a couple of days...

Cheers,
-Chris

> Hi Chris,
>
> is your work downloadable ? Demo would be nice :-)

Re: Flow layout for 0.8

Sebastian Werner
Chris,

you can also use the SVN and the Sourceforge release handling etc.
when you use the qooxdoo-contrib infrastructure. There you can develop
you layout in open tradition from day 1. We would really like to see a
FlowLayout growing in the contrib infrastructure. :)

Please have a look at this documentation:
http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/contrib/contributing

Contributions can be easily included into qooxdoo projects which
support for automatic downloading into the application folder etc. So
it's even easier to use than bundle it up yourself and make it
downloadable anywhere else.

Have a nice weekend.

Sebastian

Am 23.08.2008 um 10:39 schrieb Chris Banford:

> Hi Petr,
>
> At some point it will be, but this is the *first* thing I've ever
> tried
> to to in qooxdoo, and as such is rather a mess :-)
>
> I've got to go back to real work today (at least for a while), but as
> soon as I've got the Flow layouter working with its AlignX I'll see
> what
> I can do about putting it up online, or maybe just posting the code on
> the list (its pretty simple stuff actually). Give me a couple of
> days...
>
> Cheers,
> -Chris
>

>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> is your work downloadable ? Demo would be nice :-)

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: Flow layout for 0.8

Chris Banford
Sebastian Werner wrote:

> Chris,
>
> you can also use the SVN and the Sourceforge release handling etc.
> when you use the qooxdoo-contrib infrastructure. There you can develop
> you layout in open tradition from day 1. We would really like to see a
> FlowLayout growing in the contrib infrastructure. :)
>
> Please have a look at this documentation:
> http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/contrib/contributing
>
> Contributions can be easily included into qooxdoo projects which
> support for automatic downloading into the application folder etc. So
> it's even easier to use than bundle it up yourself and make it
> downloadable anywhere else.
>
> Have a nice weekend.
>
> Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

This all sounds great, but its another thing for me to figure out --
will do my best to get this into the Contrib, so that others can take a
look and hopefully help get its quality up to snuff :-) .

By the way, this mailing list is another advantage that qooxdoo has over
YUI. This list gets mails from involved qooxdoo developers -- the YUI
list seems to be thousands of script-kiddies shouting for someone else
to write all their code for them (and the poor YUI core devs trying to
answer all the questions). The noise ratio is so high on the YUI list,
that I almost don't bother to read any posts anymore, and very rarely
answer anything.

Cheers,
-Chris

12