GUI Automated tests for Qooxdoo

Tina
I have been reading material in the book 'Qooxdoo Beginner's Guide' for GUI automated testing and it mentions downloading v1.4.1 , Mozilla Rhino, and Selenium RC server to set up using 'simulator' for your Qooxdoo test code.  I realize this info is outdated (from 2010) and I currently am running Qooxdoo v5.0.1.  So, here are my questions:

1).  What in your opinion is the best way to integrate GUI Automation testing with Qooxdoo web applications?  Does this method provide a tool that recognizes all user interface elements built using Qooxdoo so I can incorporate them easily into the test code?

2.) There are also some old posts on using selenium and improvements being made (again 2010).  If this is the best path to take, please provide or point me to up-to-date instructions on the tools I need to download and how to set-up for GUI automated testing.

I greatly appreciate your advice and help.

Thanks,
Tina

Re: GUI Automated tests for Qooxdoo

thron7
Tina,

my knowledge is vague and dated, but maybe it is enough to get you going, and maybe others can chime in to fill the gaps I've left.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Tina <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been reading material in the book 'Qooxdoo Beginner's Guide' for GUI
automated testing and it mentions downloading v1.4.1 , Mozilla Rhino, and
Selenium RC server to set up using 'simulator' for your Qooxdoo test code.
I realize this info is outdated (from 2010) and I currently am running
Qooxdoo v5.0.1.  So, here are my questions:

1).  What in your opinion is the best way to integrate GUI Automation
testing with Qooxdoo web applications?  Does this method provide a tool that
recognizes all user interface elements built using Qooxdoo so I can
incorporate them easily into the test code?

You are right, Selenium has evolved and the current technology is called Selenium Webdriver, which marks a complete new approach compared to Selenium RC. Still, I think Selenium Webdrive is your best bet when it comes to automating tests of browser applications (at least if you look for free tools), so I would recommend you to looking into that. qooxdoo's own test suite used to use it.

2.) There are also some old posts on using selenium and improvements being
made (again 2010).  If this is the best path to take, please provide or
point me to up-to-date instructions on the tools I need to download and how
to set-up for GUI automated testing.

Significant work has been done to re-create qooxdoo's automatic framework testing with Selenium Webdriver. IIRC the main challenge here is to provide good selector support for the Webdriver platform, so test code can interact with a qooxdoo application comfortably and reliably.

I don't know the current state of affairs, and I cannot offer step-by-step instructions on how to use it, but a good starting point seems to be this repository

   https://github.com/qooxdoo/qxwebdriver-java

It used to be the basis of qooxdoo's internal GUI tests. This repo also contains a usage example, a Getting Started tutorial, and has its own test suite to look at. I have never worked with this platform myself so I cannot comment further, but I think tests will have to be written in Java, or at least a JVM language like Groovy or Clojure. You might be able to utilize Nashorn, the JavaScript engine that comes with Java 8, but again, that's just guessing and I cannot speak from experience. But I think Daniel has done a good job of making the whole thing accessible.

If and how this platform still hooks into the 'simulator' infrastructure we once used (and which used to be available in qooxdoo SDK projects through the Generator) is beyond me.

HTH,

Re: GUI Automated tests for Qooxdoo

mitya
Tina, thron7,

We've been using qxwebdriver-java for a while, with more or less
satisfactory results. Unfortunately, the module isn't in Maven repos
yet, so you'll have to build it from sources.

Official GitHub repo is a bit dated, so you can use my fork [1] that
contains updates for latest Selenium. Another guy [2] seems to have
fixed some table-related issues. If you want to test non-qooxdoo
content and qooxdoo application in one combined test-case, please
beware the pitfall my colleague has recently reported [3].

As soon as legal issues are settled and community gets control over
repositories, all the changes will be merged upstream. Hopefully, the
module will be also published in Maven Central.

Cheers,
Dimitri

[1] https://github.com/cargosoft/qxwebdriver-java
[2] https://github.com/elentirmo/qxwebdriver-java
[3] http://qooxdoo.678.n2.nabble.com/An-issue-with-qx-web-driver-java-t
p7587968.html

> [...]
> seems to be this repository
>
>    https://github.com/qooxdoo/qxwebdriver-java
>
> It used to be the basis of qooxdoo's internal GUI tests. This repo
> also contains a usage example, a Getting Started tutorial, and has
> its own test suite to look at. I have never worked with this platform
> myself so I cannot comment further, but I think tests will have to be
> written in Java, or at least a JVM language like Groovy or Clojure.
> You might be able to utilize Nashorn, the JavaScript engine that
> comes with Java 8, but again, that's just guessing and I cannot speak
> from experience. But I think Daniel has done a good job of making the
> whole thing accessible.
>
> If and how this platform still hooks into the 'simulator'
> infrastructure we once used (and which used to be available in
> qooxdoo SDK projects through the Generator) is beyond me.

Thanks Thron and Mitya.  I will be looking into this option for gui testing for our next version.  Will keep you posted.