Extending the low-level application

gal.rubinstein

Hi all,

first of all, thanks for all the help:-D

since I'm starting to get some impatience faces from the team leader :-{ I
need you help on one more thing.

I've set-up a BOM application using your tutorial, now, lets say I wish to
add a button (qx.ui.form.Button) and to make this application inline
(qx.application.In...). can you show me how?

better of, it will be nice if later we will make this into a tutorial, I do
believe that many of my friend/programmers will be interested in this
framework if the scalability issue will be explained
(also maybe some people in this form).

Thanks,

PS: firebug says there is an error on the qooxdoo homepage : 'Components is
not defined'

Re: Extending the low-level application

thron7
Gal,

Gal.Rubinstein wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> first of all, thanks for all the help:-D
>
> since I'm starting to get some impatience faces from the team leader :-{ I
> need you help on one more thing.
>
> I've set-up a BOM application using your tutorial, now, lets say I wish to
> add a button (qx.ui.form.Button) and to make this application inline
> (qx.application.In...). can you show me how?

you have to transform your BOM application into a proper, skeleton-based
application. Here is a rough cut:

* Create a standard skeleton with 'create-application.py'.
* Switch the application type to qx.application.Inline (from
qx.application.Standalone).
* Follow the doc for inline apps
(http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/ui_inline), using
qx.ui.root.Inline objects.
* Incorporate the BOM code that you have so far.
* Extend with new widgets (like Button).
* Use the generator to create your application :-) .

> better of, it will be nice if later we will make this into a tutorial, I do
> believe that many of my friend/programmers will be interested in this
> framework if the scalability issue will be explained
> (also maybe some people in this form).

Sure, go ahead.

> PS: firebug says there is an error on the qooxdoo homepage : 'Components is
> not defined'

That's not a qooxdoo object (in any way).

Re: Extending the low-level application

gal.rubinstein

the skeleton is not an option (in my companies case, anyway), the skeleton
brings with it the whole theme and many files, narrowing them is a major
headache and won't pass, my coo workers are a lazy bunch :-U
Maybe Something that is between the bom to a full skeleton, or a way to
clean the skeleton to it's bare minimum.

Thanks.

Gal.Rubinstein wrote:
> the skeleton is not an option (in my companies case, anyway), the skeleton
> brings with it the whole theme and many files, narrowing them is a major
> headache and won't pass, my coo workers are a lazy bunch :-U
> Maybe Something that is between the bom to a full skeleton, or a way to
> clean the skeleton to it's bare minimum.

Mh, I'm surprised to hear that. The GUI skeleton itself is extremely
slim (you can throw away test and theme folders if you like). It took me
about 20 secs. to cut the main() method of the skeleton's Application.js
to this:

    main : function()
    {
      // Call super class
      this.base(arguments);

      alert("This was easy :-)!");

    }

That's it. A generator run reports 147 classes used. (You can get to 143
if you switch to a standard theme, so the own theme classes are
ignored). Using a standard BOM skeleton you use about 78 classes. The
gap is the cost for the widget infrastructure (e.g. event handling),
which you have to pay anyway adding your first button.

But you don't have to worry any more about "cleaning" the skeleton,
since only needed classes are drawn in. What you don't need, is not used.

T.

> Thanks.
>

> thron7 wrote:
>
>> Gal,
>>
>> Gal.Rubinstein wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> first of all, thanks for all the help:-D
>>>
>>> since I'm starting to get some impatience faces from the team leader :-{
>>> need you help on one more thing.
>>>
>>> I've set-up a BOM application using your tutorial, now, lets say I wish
>>> add a button (qx.ui.form.Button) and to make this application inline
>>> (qx.application.In...). can you show me how?
>>>

>> you have to transform your BOM application into a proper, skeleton-based
>> application. Here is a rough cut:
>>
>> * Create a standard skeleton with 'create-application.py'.
>> * Switch the application type to qx.application.Inline (from
>> qx.application.Standalone).
>> * Follow the doc for inline apps
>> (http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/ui_inline), using
>> qx.ui.root.Inline objects.
>> * Incorporate the BOM code that you have so far.
>> * Extend with new widgets (like Button).
>> * Use the generator to create your application :-) .
>>

>>> better of, it will be nice if later we will make this into a tutorial, I
>>> do
>>> believe that many of my friend/programmers will be interested in this
>>> framework if the scalability issue will be explained
>>> (also maybe some people in this form).
>>>

>> Sure, go ahead.
>>

>>> PS: firebug says there is an error on the qooxdoo homepage : 'Components
>>> is
>>> not defined'
>>>

>> That's not a qooxdoo object (in any way).
>>
>> T.

Re: Extending the low-level application

Krycek
event handling are not in the BOM skeleton?

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM, thron7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Gal.Rubinstein wrote:
> [...]

>> * Switch the application type to qx.application.Inline (from
>> qx.application.Standalone).
>> * Follow the doc for inline apps
>> (http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/ui_inline), using
>> qx.ui.root.Inline objects.
>> * Incorporate the BOM code that you have so far.
>> * Extend with new widgets (like Button).
>> * Use the generator to create your application :-) .
>>

>>> better of, it will be nice if later we will make this into a tutorial, I
>>> do
>>> believe that many of my friend/programmers will be interested in this
>>> framework if the scalability issue will be explained
>>> (also maybe some people in this form).
>>>

>> Sure, go ahead.
>>

>>> PS: firebug says there is an error on the qooxdoo homepage : 'Components
>>> is
>>> not defined'
>>>

>> That's not a qooxdoo object (in any way).

Checked it out,
ok.... I remove the theme... ohh, now I get it.. the theme where an
extension of 'qx.theme.modern.*'.

get the picture... thanks.

do you have an example of inline use?

thanks a lot...

Guilherme Aiolfi wrote:

> event handling are not in the BOM skeleton?
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM, thron7
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> Gal.Rubinstein wrote:
>> > the skeleton is not an option (in my companies case, anyway), the
>> skeleton
>> > brings with it the whole theme and many files, narrowing them is a
>> major
>> > headache and won't pass, my coo workers are a lazy bunch :-U
>> > Maybe Something that is between the bom to a full skeleton, or a way to
>> > clean the skeleton to it's bare minimum.
>> >

>> Mh, I'm surprised to hear that. The GUI skeleton itself is extremely
>> slim (you can throw away test and theme folders if you like). It took me
>> about 20 secs. to cut the main() method of the skeleton's Application.js
>> to this:
>>
>>    main : function()
>>    {
>>      // Call super class
>>      this.base(arguments);
>>
>>      alert("This was easy :-)!");
>>
>>    }
>>
>> That's it. A generator run reports 147 classes used. (You can get to 143
>> if you switch to a standard theme, so the own theme classes are
>> ignored). Using a standard BOM skeleton you use about 78 classes. The
>> gap is the cost for the widget infrastructure (e.g. event handling),
>> which you have to pay anyway adding your first button.
>>
>> But you don't have to worry any more about "cleaning" the skeleton,
>> since only needed classes are drawn in. What you don't need, is not used.
>>
>> T.
>>
>> > Thanks.

>> :-{

>> wish

>> skeleton-based

>> tutorial,

>> 'Components

Re: Extending the low-level application

thron7

> Checked it out,
> ok.... I remove the theme... ohh, now I get it.. the theme where an
> extension of 'qx.theme.modern.*'.
>
> get the picture... thanks.
>
> do you have an example of inline use?

the link in my earlier mail?!