Evolving the qooxdoo Project

Andreas Ecker-3
Hi,

this is to let you know about the recent blog post http://news.qooxdoo.org/evolving-the-qooxdoo-project :

The qooxdoo Open Source project is going to see some significant advancements.

For quite a while now we have been talking about the intention to open up the project to facilitate more community involvement. 1&1 as qooxdoo’s initiator has started and is supporting this transformation. As the opportunity is actively being pursued, we would like to announce where we stand right now.

In order to allow for a best possible transformation of the project, we wanted this to be driven by people who have been involved with the qooxdoo project for a long time, have been providing first-class contributions to it and have an expert knowledge of its technology. Ideally, they should have a track record of running Open Source projects successfully as well as knowing about the specific needs of a professional, business-oriented community such as qooxdoo’s. Knowing such people in person and trusting them wouldn’t hurt either.

We’re glad that the ones we approached – encompassing all of above requirements perfectly – agreed to take up the opportunity to evolve the qooxdoo project: long-time qooxdoo fellows Fritz Zaucker and Tobi Oetiker joined to coordinate and drive the upcoming changes and improvements.

Moreover, others we asked for their close collaboration are also on-board, e.g. Cajus Pollmeier, Derrell Lipman, Dietrich Streifert, John Spackman. Given the recent activities of various people on the mailing list there is much additional momentum.

Actually, we had hoped to announce both plan and completion of this entire process by the end of 2015. But a few administrative hurdles are still being worked on. With 1&1, a great supporter of Open Source and qooxdoo in particular, some necessary steps are being taken to ensure the organizational and legal aspects are properly addressed:

1) As previously announced (http://news.qooxdoo.org/license-update) the current dual-licensing (LGPL/EPL) will be simplified and future releases are expected to be under the MIT license.

2) We founded a legal entity called “qooxdoo.org” as a non-profit association after Swiss law (named a “Verein” in German).

3) 1&1 is going to transfer the intellectual property rights and the qooxdoo.org internet domain to the qooxdoo.org association.

4) The ownership of the qooxdoo organization at Github (https://github.com/qooxdoo) and thus the official code repository will also be transferred.

5) The qooxdoo hosting infrastructure (homepage, blog, bugzilla, etc.) is to be replaced, by public infrastructure and services such as GitHub, etc. wherever possible.

With the new freedom there will also be more responsibility for the community. While 1&1 developers might continue to contribute to qooxdoo as their job responsibilities permit, the driving force behind the project will be you, the experts and collaborators right within the community. qooxdoo will now depend on your contributions (ideas, code, infrastructure, money, etc) and benefit from your engagement.

We have seen a number of qooxdoo-based projects being discussed on the mailing list in the past. And we know of a few other projects using qooxdoo as key element that are not publicly visible. Let’s bundle our resources to make qooxdoo even better. As there are so many talented and enthusiastic qooxdoo users this transformation is going to succeed. The qooxdoo.org association will provide the vessel for this endeavour.

At this point we would like to thank 1&1 for the tremendous effort put into this framework over all those years, and moreover, for the generosity to make it available as an Open Source project since early 2005 and now allowing qooxdoo to be further evolved by a grown-up community.

We will let you know once the administrative steps are completed. In the meantime please feel free to send any of your comments/suggestions/pledges.

Cheers,

Andreas, Fritz, Tobi and supporters

dev

Re: Evolving the qooxdoo Project

dev
Dear 1&1,

This is tremendous news. They should have come at least two years ago cause now the project has lost almost all momentum.
Hopefully it can be repaired by a new community which grows more than it is now as most already have left.

For 1&1:
Thanks 1&1 for the contribution of code to the community. It is a fantastic donation of the 1&1 company.

For the new core team:
Don't ever lock the project in again. Open up now! Revise together! Join the forces....

Wish the best for future...

As we have said before...if someone wants our help, tell us!

Stefan

> [...]
>
> We have seen a number of qooxdoo-based projects being discussed on the
> mailing list in the past. And we know of a few other projects using qooxdoo
> as key element that are not publicly visible. Let’s bundle our resources to
> make qooxdoo even better. As there are so many talented and enthusiastic
> qooxdoo users this transformation is going to succeed. The qooxdoo.org
> association will provide the vessel for this endeavour.
>
> At this point we would like to thank 1&1 for the tremendous effort put into
> this framework over all those years, and moreover, for the generosity to
> make it available as an Open Source project since early 2005 and now
> allowing qooxdoo to be further evolved by a grown-up community.
>
> We will let you know once the administrative steps are completed. In the
> meantime please feel free to send any of your comments/suggestions/pledges.

Tom Saddul
We are not qooxdoo experts but we are able to harness the power of qooxdoo using qx-typed (https://github.com/jbaron/qx-typed) made easier to learn using typescript language. Instead, I plan to help by donating an amounts later when sales are coming...

I wish qooxdoo (desktop) to be more friendly to mobile devices...

Re: Evolving the qooxdoo Project

Varol Okan
Hey,

this is good news I am looking forward in seeing these changes causing some positive improvements to the project in general.
I have been using qooxdoo since version 0.5 and I loved the structure and the OO model from the get-go ( coming from a C++ background and Qt ... of course its great )

I have used it to build my WebOS ( https://AstraNOS.org ) which is a fun place to store all my info, links, docs and pictures on the internet. I also use it as the main interface now to program AstraNOS itself and collaborate with my friends and with family in Germany ( thanks to WebRTC ).

Would there be interest in using this as a portal for the qooxdoo contributor now that the qooxdoo - web page is moving to new ownership ? We could add missing apps as required ( E.g. github and source integration etc. There would obviously be a ton of work to do in order to add features currently missing ( like I have never finished the e-mail client etc. ). It is also nice display of the power of qooxdoos' Desktop features.

Screenshot

Cheers,

Varol :)

On 02/21/2016 05:23 PM, Andreas Ecker wrote:
[...]

John Spackman
Hi Varol

That looks *really* cool; so the whole thing is written in Qooxdoo?  What about the server side?  I’ve seen the IDE app, does this mean I could create an entire new Qooxdoo app, ie like the playground but with multiple class files, and then run that within the AstraNOS desktop?

From: Varol Okan <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, 24 February 2016 at 14:20
To: qooxdoo Development <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [qooxdoo-devel] Evolving the qooxdoo Project

[...]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now! http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140_______________________________________________ qooxdoo-devel mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qooxdoo-devel

Re: Evolving the qooxdoo Project

woprandi

Glad to finally see a news about qooxdoo. I think the first goal is to improve the project visibility to grow the community.
I use qooxdoo for 3 years and the community has always been neglected.

Re: Evolving the qooxdoo Project

oetiker
Hi William,

by all means, anything you can do ... join us on #qxdev
(freenode.net)

cheers
tobi

www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] +41 62 775 9902