Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

12

Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

Dietrich Streifert
Hello Everybody,

I've successfully build an iOS app using Appcelrator Titanium and qx-oo
version 1.6 for business logic (oo features, properties, events mainly)
which (hopefully) will be distributed through app store this week.

The next step is to "port" the iOS app to android (v 2.2+ ) which uses
the v8 javascript engine.

The problem is that during load of the qx-oo.js (or qx-oo-noopt.js) I'm
getting an error "Object #<Object> has no method 'extendClass'"  in
qx.Bootstrap.define. Here ist the error message using qx-oo-noopt.js
from http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/framework/qx-oo-noopt.js :

E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [1120424,1122319] ----- Titanium Javascript
Runtime Error -----
E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [1,1122320] - In lib/qx-oo-noopt.js:129,14
E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [3,1122323] - Message: Uncaught TypeError:
Object #<Object> has no method 'extendClass'
E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [0,1122323] - Source:
this.extendClass(clazz, clazz, config.extend, name, basename);
E/V8Exception(  686): Exception occurred at lib/qx-oo-noopt.js:129:
Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method 'extendClass'

This is caused bin qx.Bootstrap.define:

       if (config.extend) {
         this.extendClass(clazz, clazz, config.extend, name, basename);
       }

I suspect that the bootstrap code is somehow "misinterpreted".

Does anybody have an idea what causes this problem?

Any help would be great.

Best regards...
Dietrich

Re: Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

Thomas Herchenroeder

On 12/14/2011 09:24 AM, Dietrich Streifert wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I've successfully build an iOS app using Appcelrator Titanium and qx-oo
> version 1.6 for business logic (oo features, properties, events mainly)
> which (hopefully) will be distributed through app store this week.

Wow, congrats!

> The next step is to "port" the iOS app to android (v 2.2+ ) which uses
> the v8 javascript engine.
>
> The problem is that during load of the qx-oo.js (or qx-oo-noopt.js) I'm
> getting an error "Object #<Object>  has no method 'extendClass'"  in
> qx.Bootstrap.define. Here ist the error message using qx-oo-noopt.js
> from http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/framework/qx-oo-noopt.js :
>
> E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [1120424,1122319] ----- Titanium Javascript
> Runtime Error -----
> E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [1,1122320] - In lib/qx-oo-noopt.js:129,14
> E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [3,1122323] - Message: Uncaught TypeError:
> Object #<Object>  has no method 'extendClass'
> E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [0,1122323] - Source:
> this.extendClass(clazz, clazz, config.extend, name, basename);
> E/V8Exception(  686): Exception occurred at lib/qx-oo-noopt.js:129:
> Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object>  has no method 'extendClass'
>
> This is caused bin qx.Bootstrap.define:
>
>         if (config.extend) {
>           this.extendClass(clazz, clazz, config.extend, name, basename);
>         }
>
> I suspect that the bootstrap code is somehow "misinterpreted".
>
> Does anybody have an idea what causes this problem?

Mh, this is truely weird. The line in question (129) is obviously
executed before the definition of 'extendClass' has been evaluated. But
I don't see anything that could cause this early call of 'define'!? Can
you come up with a call stack at that moment?

Am 14.12.2011 11:48, schrieb thron7:

>> The next step is to "port" the iOS app to android (v 2.2+ ) which uses
>> the v8 javascript engine.
>>
>> The problem is that during load of the qx-oo.js (or qx-oo-noopt.js) I'm
>> getting an error "Object #<Object>   has no method 'extendClass'"  in
>> qx.Bootstrap.define. Here ist the error message using qx-oo-noopt.js
>> from http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/framework/qx-oo-noopt.js :
>>
>> E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [1120424,1122319] ----- Titanium Javascript
>> Runtime Error -----
>> E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [1,1122320] - In lib/qx-oo-noopt.js:129,14
>> E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [3,1122323] - Message: Uncaught TypeError:
>> Object #<Object>   has no method 'extendClass'
>> E/TiJSError(  686): (main) [0,1122323] - Source:
>> this.extendClass(clazz, clazz, config.extend, name, basename);
>> E/V8Exception(  686): Exception occurred at lib/qx-oo-noopt.js:129:
>> Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object>   has no method 'extendClass'
>>
>> This is caused bin qx.Bootstrap.define:
>>
>>          if (config.extend) {
>>            this.extendClass(clazz, clazz, config.extend, name, basename);
>>          }
>>
>> I suspect that the bootstrap code is somehow "misinterpreted".
>>
>> Does anybody have an idea what causes this problem?
> Mh, this is truely weird. The line in question (129) is obviously
> executed before the definition of 'extendClass' has been evaluated. But
> I don't see anything that could cause this early call of 'define'!? Can
> you come up with a call stack at that moment?
>
> T.

Meanwhile I "solved?!?!?" the exception by moving the declaration of the
methods "extendClass" and "getKeys" up to qx.Bootstrap (starting on line
64) right before method "define". Down at
qx.Bootstrap.define("qx.Bootstrap", I replaced the definitions of
"extendClass" and "getKeys" with:

     extendClass : qx.Bootstrap.extendClass,
     getKeys : qx.Bootstrap.getKeys,

Anyway: this is the stacktrace shown in Titanium Studio:

     qx.Bootstrap.define() [qx-oo-noopt.js:129]
     (anonymous function)() [qx-oo-noopt.js:200]
     (anonymous function)() [app.js:2]

where qx-oo-noopt.js is loaded from app.js line 2.

Thank you for your help Thomas.

On 12/14/2011 12:17 PM, Dietrich Streifert wrote:

> Meanwhile I "solved?!?!?" the exception by moving the declaration of the
> methods "extendClass" and "getKeys" up to qx.Bootstrap (starting on line
> 64) right before method "define". Down at
> qx.Bootstrap.define("qx.Bootstrap", I replaced the definitions of
> "extendClass" and "getKeys" with:
>
>       extendClass : qx.Bootstrap.extendClass,
>       getKeys : qx.Bootstrap.getKeys,
>
> Anyway: this is the stacktrace shown in Titanium Studio:
>
>       qx.Bootstrap.define() [qx-oo-noopt.js:129]
>       (anonymous function)() [qx-oo-noopt.js:200]
>       (anonymous function)() [app.js:2]
>
> where qx-oo-noopt.js is loaded from app.js line 2.

Uh-oh, yes, this sort of makes sense. Thanks for digging into that,
we'll have to check that...

Re: Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

Stefan A
We used a little different strategy by wrapping the GUI function calls of Titanium in qooxdoo mobile and don't see this problem.

Stack trace, please!

Stefan

Am 14.12.2011 12:52, schrieb Stefan Andersson:
> We used a little different strategy by wrapping the GUI function calls
> of Titanium in qooxdoo mobile and don't see this problem.

Hi Stefan!

How do you manage the *.js file loading in your app.js?

Have you intercepted the titanium build process for creating a
compressed/compiled single *.js file via the qooxdoo toolchain?

Please enlighten me/us how you did that.

On 12/14/2011 12:51 PM, thron7 wrote:

> On 12/14/2011 12:17 PM, Dietrich Streifert wrote:
>> Meanwhile I "solved?!?!?" the exception by moving the declaration of the
>> methods "extendClass" and "getKeys" up to qx.Bootstrap (starting on line
>> 64) right before method "define". Down at
>> qx.Bootstrap.define("qx.Bootstrap", I replaced the definitions of
>> "extendClass" and "getKeys" with:
>>
>>        extendClass : qx.Bootstrap.extendClass,
>>        getKeys : qx.Bootstrap.getKeys,
>>
>> Anyway: this is the stacktrace shown in Titanium Studio:
>>
>>        qx.Bootstrap.define() [qx-oo-noopt.js:129]
>>        (anonymous function)() [qx-oo-noopt.js:200]
>>        (anonymous function)() [app.js:2]
>>
>> where qx-oo-noopt.js is loaded from app.js line 2.

Ah, now I see clearer. If you look at the code in 'define' these
delicate calls to extendClass and getKeys are guarded by checks for the
passed-in defining map (config.members and config.extend). But the map
passed in the qx.Bootstrap.define call (l.200) does not contain any of
those, hence these paths are never taken (and shouldn't in this case).

Could you check if there is a 'magic' "config" object hanging around on
Titanium/Android?

Re: Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

Dietrich Streifert
Am 14.12.2011 12:52, schrieb Stefan Andersson:
> We used a little different strategy by wrapping the GUI function calls
> of Titanium in qooxdoo mobile and don't see this problem.
>
> Stack trace, please!
>
> Stefan
Btw: what runtime do you use in android? Is it Rhino or V8?

Am 14.12.2011 13:12, schrieb thron7:

> On 12/14/2011 12:51 PM, thron7 wrote:
>> On 12/14/2011 12:17 PM, Dietrich Streifert wrote:
>>> Meanwhile I "solved?!?!?" the exception by moving the declaration of the
>>> methods "extendClass" and "getKeys" up to qx.Bootstrap (starting on line
>>> 64) right before method "define". Down at
>>> qx.Bootstrap.define("qx.Bootstrap", I replaced the definitions of
>>> "extendClass" and "getKeys" with:
>>>
>>>         extendClass : qx.Bootstrap.extendClass,
>>>         getKeys : qx.Bootstrap.getKeys,
>>>
>>> Anyway: this is the stacktrace shown in Titanium Studio:
>>>
>>>         qx.Bootstrap.define() [qx-oo-noopt.js:129]
>>>         (anonymous function)() [qx-oo-noopt.js:200]
>>>         (anonymous function)() [app.js:2]
>>>
>>> where qx-oo-noopt.js is loaded from app.js line 2.
> Ah, now I see clearer. If you look at the code in 'define' these
> delicate calls to extendClass and getKeys are guarded by checks for the
> passed-in defining map (config.members and config.extend). But the map
> passed in the qx.Bootstrap.define call (l.200) does not contain any of
> those, hence these paths are never taken (and shouldn't in this case).
>
> Could you check if there is a 'magic' "config" object hanging around on
> Titanium/Android?
>
> T.

Back from my lunch break:

I've startet a debugger session in Titanium Studio and set a breakpoint
at line 3 of qx-oo-noopt.js which is the first instruction allowing to
do so. Now I've been stepping through the code while evaluating
"config", "config.members" and "config.extend" in the expressions window.

config is still not defined until stepping into line 113 of
qx-oo-noopt.js where it becomes defined in the current context because
it is passed as parameter #2 to define in

     qx.Bootstrap.define("qx.Bootstrap",
     {
         statics : .....

At this line config.members is not defined as expected, but
config.extend IS DEFINED and holds a function reference.

 From my undestanding of the qx-oo bootstrap code config.extend should
be undefined at this point.

A simple evaluation of

     (new Object).extend

shows that extend is a function reference.

So I've restarted the debugger and found that Object.extend is defined
by default before qx-oo is loaded.

Umpfff!!!

Am 14.12.2011 15:16, schrieb Dietrich Streifert:

> Back from my lunch break:
>
> I've startet a debugger session in Titanium Studio and set a
> breakpoint at line 3 of qx-oo-noopt.js which is the first instruction
> allowing to do so. Now I've been stepping through the code while
> evaluating "config", "config.members" and "config.extend" in the
> expressions window.
>
> config is still not defined until stepping into line 113 of
> qx-oo-noopt.js where it becomes defined in the current context because
> it is passed as parameter #2 to define in
>
>     qx.Bootstrap.define("qx.Bootstrap",
>     {
>         statics : .....
>
> At this line config.members is not defined as expected, but
> config.extend IS DEFINED and holds a function reference.
>
> From my undestanding of the qx-oo bootstrap code config.extend should
> be undefined at this point.
>
> A simple evaluation of
>
>     (new Object).extend
>
> shows that extend is a function reference.
>
> So I've restarted the debugger and found that Object.extend is defined
> by default before qx-oo is loaded.
>
> Umpfff!!!

This may be a valid solution for the problem: I've simply NULL-ed out
extend in qx.Bootstrap.define this way:

     qx.Bootstrap.define("qx.Bootstrap",
     {
       extend : null,
       statics :

I don't know if this has any side effects.

Re: Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

Thomas Herchenroeder
Thanks, Dietrich, for digging into this so well. Could you open a bug
for it and attach your findings?! That would be great.

Am 14.12.2011 17:44, schrieb thron7:
> Thanks, Dietrich, for digging into this so well. Could you open a bug
> for it and attach your findings?! That would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> T.

Will open the bug tomorrow.

Tests with standalone v8 on centos 6 (d8 respectively) show that
Object.prototype.extend is not defined there. This seems to be something
specific to the v8 version used by titanium.

The simple solution:

     delete Object.prototype.extend;

does not work.

I'm stuck for now and out of ideas.

I'll write a bugreport in the titanium jira as well.

Regards...

Re: Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

Dietrich Streifert
Am 14.12.2011 17:44, schrieb thron7:
> Thanks, Dietrich, for digging into this so well. Could you open a bug
> for it and attach your findings?! That would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> T.

Done:

http://bugzilla.qooxdoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5951

Am 14.12.2011 21:44, schrieb Dietrich Streifert:

> Am 14.12.2011 17:44, schrieb thron7:
>> Thanks, Dietrich, for digging into this so well. Could you open a bug
>> for it and attach your findings?! That would be great.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> T.
>>
> Done:
>
> http://bugzilla.qooxdoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5951
Please follow also the discussion at appcelerator Q&A on:

http://developer.appcelerator.com/question/129475/v8-runtime-defines-objectprototypeextend-which-may-break-compatibility-to-javascript-framework

And the Titanium JIRA issue:

     http://jira.appcelerator.org/browse/TC-478

Regards...

Re: Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

Stefan A

>How do you manage the *.js file loading in your app.js?

Titanium.include('view/Translation.js');

that is static and Titanium handles the code inside the package.

We have looked at dynamic as well but not tested enough to say anything clearly about it.

>Have you intercepted the titanium build process for creating a
>compressed/compiled single *.js file via the qooxdoo toolchain?

We are looking at it for dynamic loading, but not finalized yet. It should be "quite" straightforward.

>Please enlighten me/us how you did that.

Stefan

Re: Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

Stefan A
>Btw: what runtime do you use in android? Is it Rhino or V8?

Android v 2.2 and concomitant js

Stefan

Re: Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

Stefan A
Extending Object is still regarded as a sin of the general js community. This opinion can be bypassed by an access pointer instead of "inheritance".

Stefan

Re: Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

Very nice, Dietrich, you're stirring it all up :).

T.

Am 15.12.2011 11:30, schrieb Stefan Andersson:
>Btw: what runtime do you use in android? Is it Rhino or V8?

Android v 2.2 and concomitant js

Yes but which runtime? Do you use SDK before 1.8? Then you use Rhino. Starting with SDK 1.8 you have the choice between V8 and Rhino.

Re: Error using qx-oo under Appcelerator Titanium on Android V8

Dietrich Streifert
Yes! I've got now a reaction from Marshall Culpepper, member of the
Appcelerator core team:

http://developer.appcelerator.com/question/129475/v8-runtime-defines-objectprototypeextend-which-may-break-compatibility-to-javascript-framework#answer-225485

He opened an issue in the titanium jira:

http://jira.appcelerator.org/browse/TIMOB-6684

The fix is scheduled for version 1.8.1 with no release date yet.

Thank you again for your help drilling this down Thomas.

Am 15.12.2011 12:12, schrieb thron7:

> Very nice, Dietrich, you're stirring it all up :).
>
> T.
>
> On 12/15/2011 10:32 AM, Dietrich Streifert wrote:

>>> Done:
>>>
>>> http://bugzilla.qooxdoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5951
>> Please follow also the discussion at appcelerator Q&A on:
>>

>> http://developer.appcelerator.com/question/129475/v8-runtime-defines-objectprototypeextend-which-may-break-compatibility-to-javascript-framework
>>
>> And the Titanium JIRA issue:
>>
>>        http://jira.appcelerator.org/browse/TC-478
>>
>> Regards...