Does qooxdoo have a GUI builder tool?

Werner Thie
Hi all

digging around the net revealed some code related to qooxdoo GUI
building, but either the code is old or not maintained. I managed to
resurrect qxGUIBuilder such, that it's coming up, but the project itself
is incomplete. Another one is QxTransformer, which also seems a
promising approach, although on a less graphical level.

So, I'm wondering, how does everybody create complex* GUI's?

Werner

[*] complex - ten groupboxes, each with 5-15 label/numeric fields, drop
downs, radios, checkboxes

Re: Does qooxdoo have a GUI builder tool?

Cajus Pollmeier
Some years ago I did it in some experimental playground project by
reading qtdesigner's ui files in combination with qtlinguist for i18n to
build a GUI. qtdesigner supports everything from layouts and GUI
building over tab orders to data binding - which makes it possible to
interpret the ui and translation files in run time.

Of course the use case was a bit special and it may not fit in every
application design.

But due to a huge lack of time it never left a "proof of concept" state.
Nothing that helps you in "using something" ;-)

Cheers,
Cajus

Am Donnerstag, den 23.07.2015, 06:41 -1000 schrieb Werner Thie:

> Hi all
>
> digging around the net revealed some code related to qooxdoo GUI
> building, but either the code is old or not maintained. I managed to
> resurrect qxGUIBuilder such, that it's coming up, but the project itself
> is incomplete. Another one is QxTransformer, which also seems a
> promising approach, although on a less graphical level.
>
> So, I'm wondering, how does everybody create complex* GUI's?
>
> Werner
>
> [*] complex - ten groupboxes, each with 5-15 label/numeric fields, drop
> downs, radios, checkboxes

Re: Does qooxdoo have a GUI builder tool?

George Nikolaidis
You might want to try our XML-to-GUI tool, Qookery. It has just been
updated with CKeditor, ACE and FullCalendar extensions. To see it in
action, start with the live demo at www.qookery.org

We use it at Ergobyte to create very large and complex GUI applications,
our last one (a practice management system) has 135+ forms.

George Nikolaidis ([hidden email])
MEng, MSc Information Systems
Ergobyte Informatics S.A.
Innovative Software Development
21 Aristotelous str., 54624 Thessaloniki, Greece
Tel: +302310288434, Fax: +302310288134
Website:www.ergobyte.gr

On 23/07/2015 07:41 μμ, Werner Thie wrote:

> Hi all
>
> digging around the net revealed some code related to qooxdoo GUI
> building, but either the code is old or not maintained. I managed to
> resurrect qxGUIBuilder such, that it's coming up, but the project itself
> is incomplete. Another one is QxTransformer, which also seems a
> promising approach, although on a less graphical level.
>
> So, I'm wondering, how does everybody create complex* GUI's?
>
> Werner
>
> [*] complex - ten groupboxes, each with 5-15 label/numeric fields, drop
> downs, radios, checkboxes

Re: Does qooxdoo have a GUI builder tool?

panyasan

qxtranformer is dead, unfortunately. It was just not feasable to maintain it. I actually liked writing GUIs declaratively [1]. It was much faster than doing it programmatically, mostly because you were able to get rid of those pesky temporary variables needed to declare the widgets, and assign properties to them, and add them to the parents. That allowed for a very easy copy, paste & modify workflow (handy, for example, when constructing grids [2]). But the syntax was never self-explanatory, because - for example, in the case of layouts - the qooxdoo object/widget tree does not neatly translate into a hierarchical structure that can be expressed in xml, and there were too many special cases that had to be thought of. So in the end, we reverted to plain old javascript. But still it would be nice to have some declarative way of doing things. Doesn't have to be XML, could also be YAML or even JSON.

[1] Here is an example: https://sourceforge.net/p/bibliograph/code/HEAD/tree/bibliograph/trunk/bibliograph/source/class/bibliograph/Application.xml
[2] https://sourceforge.net/p/bibliograph/code/HEAD/tree/bibliograph/trunk/bibliograph/source/class/bibliograph/ui/window/PreferencesWindow.xml