Decorator wanted: Google Buttons

Sebastian Werner
Hi all!

Just stumbled accross a nice article at stopdesign:
http://stopdesign.com/archive/2009/02/04/recreating-the-button.html

A cool concept for dealing with pseudo gradients and pseudo rounded
borders. The result is not a sophisticated as the ones generated by
Bevel or Grid, but a lightweight solution for the basic effect.

With qooxdoo's possibility to exactly know the dimensions of the element
to render it should be even possible to implement the gradient the way
the author thinks at:

http://stopdesign.com/eg/buttons/3.1/code.html

Without flow issues which needs to be fixed and with absolute
coordinates this should be doable easily - crossbrowser.

Anybody like to implement a decorator from this concept? ;)

Cheers,
Sebastian

Re: Decorator wanted: Google Buttons

Noggin182
Sounds like a challenge! I don't mind doing this, although I do have
several other work responsibilities currently so it won't be a quick
turnaround.

Is there anything anybody else wanted to say about this before I start?
I will make this fully customizable of course so we can specify
different colours for button states and also amke it generic as it could
potentially be used for any type of widget!

Matt

P.S. Sebastian, I am not a laywer. Before I start could you (or anyone
else) confirm that this design doesn't full under some sort of copyright?

Sebastian Werner wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Just stumbled accross a nice article at stopdesign:
> http://stopdesign.com/archive/2009/02/04/recreating-the-button.html
>
> A cool concept for dealing with pseudo gradients and pseudo rounded
> borders. The result is not a sophisticated as the ones generated by
> Bevel or Grid, but a lightweight solution for the basic effect.
>
> With qooxdoo's possibility to exactly know the dimensions of the element
> to render it should be even possible to implement the gradient the way
> the author thinks at:
>
> http://stopdesign.com/eg/buttons/3.1/code.html
>
> Without flow issues which needs to be fixed and with absolute
> coordinates this should be doable easily - crossbrowser.
>
> Anybody like to implement a decorator from this concept? ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastian

> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Re: Decorator wanted: Google Buttons

Noggin182
The example in the pictures all single a single border, do you think
this is enough? Using the power of qooxdoo it would be simple to make
the border a double and lift it off the page a bit more. It would make
the dom a little more complex, do people think it's worth it?

Matthew Gregory schrieb:

> Sounds like a challenge! I don't mind doing this, although I do have
> several other work responsibilities currently so it won't be a quick
> turnaround.
>
> Is there anything anybody else wanted to say about this before I start?
> I will make this fully customizable of course so we can specify
> different colours for button states and also amke it generic as it could
> potentially be used for any type of widget!
>
> Matt
>
> P.S. Sebastian, I am not a laywer. Before I start could you (or anyone
> else) confirm that this design doesn't full under some sort of copyright?

Not sure if this is a problem at all. I would add something like
"Inspired by..." to the header and mention the web page. They offer it
for copy&pasting and downloading, but with no license information at
all. Basically it's still a collection of work from different persons
(from different companies) so I am not sure if a single person has a
right for some copyright at all here.

In a qooxdoo decorator the whole thing will work without any external
CSS or such a stylesheet at all. So the elements are placed absolutely.
"Inspired by" is a good thing as this is basically nothing more. I don't
think we need to copy a single line of code from them.

Cheers,
Sebastian

> Sebastian Werner wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Just stumbled accross a nice article at stopdesign:
>> http://stopdesign.com/archive/2009/02/04/recreating-the-button.html
>>
>> A cool concept for dealing with pseudo gradients and pseudo rounded
>> borders. The result is not a sophisticated as the ones generated by
>> Bevel or Grid, but a lightweight solution for the basic effect.
>>
>> With qooxdoo's possibility to exactly know the dimensions of the element
>> to render it should be even possible to implement the gradient the way
>> the author thinks at:
>>
>> http://stopdesign.com/eg/buttons/3.1/code.html
>>
>> Without flow issues which needs to be fixed and with absolute
>> coordinates this should be doable easily - crossbrowser.
>>
>> Anybody like to implement a decorator from this concept? ;)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sebastian

>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
>> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Re: Decorator wanted: Google Buttons

Sebastian Werner
I especially like the effect for being that basic. The thing is that
this kind of markup is quite compact for the little markup needed. You
can still use the Beveled decorator etc. if you need a more
sophisticated effect.

BTW, I think the 3.1 example with the pseudo-gradient is more
interesting for us. To implement this completely without any images
definitely would rock.

Matthew Gregory schrieb:

> The example in the pictures all single a single border, do you think
> this is enough? Using the power of qooxdoo it would be simple to make
> the border a double and lift it off the page a bit more. It would make
> the dom a little more complex, do people think it's worth it?
>
> Matthew Gregory wrote:
>> Sounds like a challenge! I don't mind doing this, although I do have
>> several other work responsibilities currently so it won't be a quick
>> turnaround.
>>
>> Is there anything anybody else wanted to say about this before I start?
>> I will make this fully customizable of course so we can specify
>> different colours for button states and also amke it generic as it could
>> potentially be used for any type of widget!
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> P.S. Sebastian, I am not a laywer. Before I start could you (or anyone
>> else) confirm that this design doesn't full under some sort of copyright?
>>
>> Sebastian Werner wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> Just stumbled accross a nice article at stopdesign:
>>> http://stopdesign.com/archive/2009/02/04/recreating-the-button.html
>>>
>>> A cool concept for dealing with pseudo gradients and pseudo rounded
>>> borders. The result is not a sophisticated as the ones generated by
>>> Bevel or Grid, but a lightweight solution for the basic effect.
>>>
>>> With qooxdoo's possibility to exactly know the dimensions of the element
>>> to render it should be even possible to implement the gradient the way
>>> the author thinks at:
>>>
>>> http://stopdesign.com/eg/buttons/3.1/code.html
>>>
>>> Without flow issues which needs to be fixed and with absolute
>>> coordinates this should be doable easily - crossbrowser.
>>>
>>> Anybody like to implement a decorator from this concept? ;)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Sebastian

>>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
>>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
>>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
>>> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
>> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Re: Decorator wanted: Google Buttons

Noggin182
Thanks,
I've attached an image of how it is currently looking compared to the
orriginal qx button. I think it looks nicer when the "third color band"
is only 1px rather than two. Its working in Fx3 and IE7 (with and
without the box model).

I will change the implementation I have to use the bevelled decorator as
I think it looks much nicer.

BTW: Is it expecting for this to become part of the framework or will it
be a contrib decorator?

buttons.bmp (43K) Download Attachment

Matthew Gregory schrieb:

> Thanks,
> I've attached an image of how it is currently looking compared to the
> orriginal qx button. I think it looks nicer when the "third color
> band" is only 1px rather than two. Its working in Fx3 and IE7 (with
> and without the box model).
>
> I will change the implementation I have to use the bevelled decorator
> as I think it looks much nicer.
>
> BTW: Is it expecting for this to become part of the framework or will
> it be a contrib decorator?
Hi Matthew,

wow, do you already have the implementation done? I would suggest you
put it into a contrib and open a bug to move it into the framework.
There are currently a few contributions we would like to move into the
framework. I personally would like to see it in the framework because it
could make e.g. the button rendering more lightweight.

Best Fabian

> Sebastian Werner wrote:
>> I especially like the effect for being that basic. The thing is that
>> this kind of markup is quite compact for the little markup needed.
>> You can still use the Beveled decorator etc. if you need a more
>> sophisticated effect.
>>
>> BTW, I think the 3.1 example with the pseudo-gradient is more
>> interesting for us. To implement this completely without any images
>> definitely would rock.
>>

>> Matthew Gregory schrieb:
>>> The example in the pictures all single a single border, do you think
>>> this is enough? Using the power of qooxdoo it would be simple to
>>> make the border a double and lift it off the page a bit more. It
>>> would make the dom a little more complex, do people think it's worth
>>> it?

>>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
>>> Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills
>>> and code to
>>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the
>>> power of local
>>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR
>>> SDK and
>>> Ajax docs to start building applications
>>> today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
>> Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and
>> code to
>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power
>> of local
>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR
>> SDK and
>> Ajax docs to start building applications
>> today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstra├če 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss

Re: Decorator wanted: Google Buttons

Noggin182
I can't quite understand something, why does
qx.ui.core.Widget.__createDecoratorElement call
"element.useMarkup(decorator.getMarkup())" rather than
"decorator.init(element)"?

I was looking at overriding the beveled decorator and it is working but
I need to insert another div. Currently I have to call the base
getMarkup() and then insert my new div into the correct place in the
returned string which is very nasty. I might be missing something but if
we used the "init" function I could override it, call the base function
and then manipulate the element dirrectly afterwards.

Is there a reason it is this way?

Matthew Gregory wrote:

> Thanks,
> I've attached an image of how it is currently looking compared to the
> orriginal qx button. I think it looks nicer when the "third color band"
> is only 1px rather than two. Its working in Fx3 and IE7 (with and
> without the box model).
>
> I will change the implementation I have to use the bevelled decorator as
> I think it looks much nicer.
>
> BTW: Is it expecting for this to become part of the framework or will it
> be a contrib decorator?
>
> Sebastian Werner wrote:
>> I especially like the effect for being that basic. The thing is that
>> this kind of markup is quite compact for the little markup needed. You
>> can still use the Beveled decorator etc. if you need a more
>> sophisticated effect.
>>
>> BTW, I think the 3.1 example with the pseudo-gradient is more
>> interesting for us. To implement this completely without any images
>> definitely would rock.
>>

>> Matthew Gregory schrieb:
>>> The example in the pictures all single a single border, do you think
>>> this is enough? Using the power of qooxdoo it would be simple to make
>>> the border a double and lift it off the page a bit more. It would
>>> make the dom a little more complex, do people think it's worth it?

>>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
>>> Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and
>>> code to
>>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power
>>> of local
>>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR
>>> SDK and
>>> Ajax docs to start building applications
>>> today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
>> Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and
>> code to
>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power
>> of local
>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR
>> SDK and
>> Ajax docs to start building applications
>> today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Re: Decorator wanted: Google Buttons

Sebastian Werner
I prefer the two pixel variant, but I would use softer/lighter colors
like seen in the original Google buttons. What do the others say?

Sebastian

Matthew Gregory schrieb:

> Thanks,
> I've attached an image of how it is currently looking compared to the
> orriginal qx button. I think it looks nicer when the "third color band"
> is only 1px rather than two. Its working in Fx3 and IE7 (with and
> without the box model).
>
> I will change the implementation I have to use the bevelled decorator as
> I think it looks much nicer.
>
> BTW: Is it expecting for this to become part of the framework or will it
> be a contrib decorator?
>
> Sebastian Werner wrote:
>> I especially like the effect for being that basic. The thing is that
>> this kind of markup is quite compact for the little markup needed. You
>> can still use the Beveled decorator etc. if you need a more
>> sophisticated effect.
>>
>> BTW, I think the 3.1 example with the pseudo-gradient is more
>> interesting for us. To implement this completely without any images
>> definitely would rock.
>>

>> Matthew Gregory schrieb:
>>> The example in the pictures all single a single border, do you think
>>> this is enough? Using the power of qooxdoo it would be simple to make
>>> the border a double and lift it off the page a bit more. It would
>>> make the dom a little more complex, do people think it's worth it?

>>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
>>> Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and
>>> code to
>>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power
>>> of local
>>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR
>>> SDK and
>>> Ajax docs to start building applications
>>> today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
>> Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and
>> code to
>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power
>> of local
>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR
>> SDK and
>> Ajax docs to start building applications
>> today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Re: Decorator wanted: Google Buttons

Farid Elyahyaoui-2
I agree with sebastian. lighter colors look nicer (I know this is a matter of taste).
btw: thanks Matthew for your work.

Fabian Jakobs schrieb:

> Matthew Gregory schrieb:
>> Thanks,
>> I've attached an image of how it is currently looking compared to the
>> orriginal qx button. I think it looks nicer when the "third color
>> band" is only 1px rather than two. Its working in Fx3 and IE7 (with
>> and without the box model).
>>
>> I will change the implementation I have to use the bevelled decorator
>> as I think it looks much nicer.
>>
>> BTW: Is it expecting for this to become part of the framework or will
>> it be a contrib decorator?
> Hi Matthew,
>
> wow, do you already have the implementation done? I would suggest you
> put it into a contrib and open a bug to move it into the framework.

Yes a good idea. Matthew, do you already have an account to commit to
the contrib repository?

> There are currently a few contributions we would like to move into the
> framework. I personally would like to see it in the framework because it
> could make e.g. the button rendering more lightweight.

Not sure if this should be the default look of a button though. It
definitly never would look as good as the current one (regarding things
like round borders, inner glow, gradient, ...). It may be a good
alternative though for performance oriented cases and at least it's a
good alternative to show a light-weigher variant of such a rendering.

Sebastian

> Best Fabian
>

>> Sebastian Werner wrote:
>>> I especially like the effect for being that basic. The thing is that
>>> this kind of markup is quite compact for the little markup needed.
>>> You can still use the Beveled decorator etc. if you need a more
>>> sophisticated effect.
>>>
>>> BTW, I think the 3.1 example with the pseudo-gradient is more
>>> interesting for us. To implement this completely without any images
>>> definitely would rock.

Bug in ComboBox, ver 0.7.x?

fritz

I think there is a bug in ComboBox.js of version 0.7.3 (didn't check with
0.8.x) which is triggered when a ComboBox does not have an item selected -
either after setting it up or after calling resetSelected() - and a
changeLocale event occurs. The following code is enough to reproduce the
error:

     var testMenu  = new qx.ui.form.ComboBox();
     var testItem=new qx.ui.form.ListItem('test');
     testMenu.add(testItem);
     testMenu.addToDocument();
     qx.locale.Manager.getInstance().setLocale('de');

whereas the following code does not give an error:

     var testMenu  = new qx.ui.form.ComboBox();
     var testItem=new qx.ui.form.ListItem('test');
     testMenu.add(testItem);
     testMenu.addToDocument();
     testMenu.setSelected(testItem);
     qx.locale.Manager.getInstance().setLocale('de');

I think the locale change event tries to change the label string of a none
existing item.

The error message is:

  item is null
  var label = item.getLabelObject();

on line 1017 in ComboBox.js:

1004 /**
1005 * Return the formatted label text from the <code>ListItem</code>.
1006 * The formatter removes all HTML tags and converts all HTML entities
1007 * to string characters if the <code>ListItem</code> is identified as
1008 * HTML text or the mode is set to <code>"html"</code>.
1009 *
1010 * @type member
1011 * @param item {ListItem} The list item to format.
1012 * @return {String} The formatted text.
1013 */
1014 __defaultFormat : function(item)
1015
1015 {
1016 var valueLabel = item ? item.getLabel().toString() : "";
1017 var label = item.getLabelObject();
1018
1019 if (label != null)
1020 {

I think there should be a check for item!=null protecting the call to
item.getLabelObject() and an appropriate return if no item is selected.

Cheers,
Fritz

--
Oetiker+Partner AG tel: +41 62 775 99 03 (direct)
Fritz Zaucker                        +41 62 775 99 00 (switch board)

Matthew Gregory schrieb:

> Hi,
> I can't quite understand something, why does
> qx.ui.core.Widget.__createDecoratorElement call
> "element.useMarkup(decorator.getMarkup())" rather than
> "decorator.init(element)"?
>
> I was looking at overriding the beveled decorator and it is working but
> I need to insert another div. Currently I have to call the base
> getMarkup() and then insert my new div into the correct place in the
> returned string which is very nasty. I might be missing something but if
> we used the "init" function I could override it, call the base function
> and then manipulate the element dirrectly afterwards.
>
> Is there a reason it is this way?
I recently removed the dependency from IDecorator to qx.html.Element.
The decorators shipped with qooxdoo didn't need this dependency and it
blocked me from using it decorators to render parts of the virtual
widgets. All decorator methods now receive a DOM element as first
parameter and the "init" method will be removed.

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstra├če 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss

Re: Bug in ComboBox, ver 0.7.x?

Alexander Back
Hi Fritz,

many thanks for your very detailed input. Could you please file a bug
report for this issue? I think it would be sufficient if you just grab
the text of your mail and add it to the bug report. With such a detailed
report it should be easy to nail down this one.

cheers,
   Alex

Fritz Zaucker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think there is a bug in ComboBox.js of version 0.7.3 (didn't check with
> 0.8.x) which is triggered when a ComboBox does not have an item selected -
> either after setting it up or after calling resetSelected() - and a
> changeLocale event occurs. The following code is enough to reproduce the
> error:
>

>      var testMenu  = new qx.ui.form.ComboBox();
>      var testItem=new qx.ui.form.ListItem('test');
>      testMenu.add(testItem);
>      testMenu.addToDocument();
>      qx.locale.Manager.getInstance().setLocale('de');
>
> whereas the following code does not give an error:
>
>      var testMenu  = new qx.ui.form.ComboBox();
>      var testItem=new qx.ui.form.ListItem('test');
>      testMenu.add(testItem);
>      testMenu.addToDocument();
>      testMenu.setSelected(testItem);
>      qx.locale.Manager.getInstance().setLocale('de');
>
> I think the locale change event tries to change the label string of a none
> existing item.
>
> The error message is:
>
>   item is null
>   var label = item.getLabelObject();
>
> on line 1017 in ComboBox.js:
>
> 1004 /**
> 1005 * Return the formatted label text from the <code>ListItem</code>.
> 1006 * The formatter removes all HTML tags and converts all HTML entities
> 1007 * to string characters if the <code>ListItem</code> is identified as
> 1008 * HTML text or the mode is set to <code>"html"</code>.
> 1009 *
> 1010 * @type member
> 1011 * @param item {ListItem} The list item to format.
> 1012 * @return {String} The formatted text.
> 1013 */
> 1014 __defaultFormat : function(item)
> 1015
> 1015 {
> 1016 var valueLabel = item ? item.getLabel().toString() : "";
> 1017 var label = item.getLabelObject();
> 1018
> 1019 if (label != null)
> 1020 {
>
> I think there should be a check for item!=null protecting the call to
> item.getLabelObject() and an appropriate return if no item is selected.
>
> Cheers,
> Fritz

Re: Bug in ComboBox, ver 0.7.x?

fritz