Creating own widgets in qx.Website

Leo von Klenze-2
Hello,

I've created a Website using create-application.pb -t Website and want
to add own widgets.

I assumed to modify config.json but unfortunately I haven't found any
information on how to do this. Is such information missing in the manual?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!
Best regards,
  Leo

Re: Creating own widgets in qx.Website

John Spackman-3
Creating a new widget is as simple as just writing a new class and using it; you have to re-run the generator each time you reference a new class, but it will find it automatically and include it into your application.

Contribs are not automatically added but it’s a simple process - see this page http://manual.qooxdoo.org/current/pages/development/contrib.html for how to.

If you want help on how to write a widget from scratch, here’s a useful starting point: http://manual.qooxdoo.org/current/pages/desktop/ui_develop.html

John

> On 11 Feb 2015, at 21:51, Leo von Klenze <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I've created a Website using create-application.pb -t Website and want
> to add own widgets.
>
> I assumed to modify config.json but unfortunately I haven't found any
> information on how to do this. Is such information missing in the manual?
>
> Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Thank you!
> Best regards,
>  Leo

Re: Creating own widgets in qx.Website

Leo von Klenze
Hi John,

Thank you for the hint but I'm talking about  Website widgets not Desktop.

Therefore I've no application class where to reference my new widget.

Thank you!
   Leo

John Spackman <[hidden email]> schrieb:

> [...]

>http://manual.qooxdoo.org/current/pages/desktop/ui_develop.html John >
>On 11 Feb 2015, at 21:51, Leo von Klenze wrote: > > Hello, > > I've
>created a Website using create-application.pb -t Website and want > to
>add own widgets. > > I assumed to modify config.json but unfortunately
>I haven't found any > information on how to do this. Is such
>information missing in the manual? > > Do you have any suggestions? > >
>Thank you! > Best regards, > Leo > >
>is your > hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly
>thought > leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and
>more. Take a > look and join the conversation now.
>http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/ >
>your hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly
>thought leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and
>more. Take a look and join the conversation now.

Daniel Wagner
Administrator
Hi Leo,

unfortunately, there's no documentation in the manual on how to create
custom qx.Website widgets. That said, it's still possible if you're
willing to jump through a few hoops and dig into the framework's widgets
to see how they're implemented. The main steps are:

* Use q.define to create your widget class
* Inherit from qx.ui.website.Widget or one of its subclasses - there's
no global qx symbol in qx.Website so you have to use q.$$qx
* Create a factory method for your widget and attach it to the q collection
* Override the render method as a starting point for your widget's
implementation logic. Try to stick to the q API if possible. If you need
to use framework classes that aren't included in your qx.Website build,
you'll have to customize your build config (in a qx.Website skeleton
application).

Here's a simple but functional example:

q.ready(function() {
  var qx = q.$$qx;

  q.define ("Custom", {

    extend: qx.ui.website.Widget,

    construct : function(selector, context) {
      this.base(arguments, selector, context);
    },

    statics: {
      // default configuration
      _config : {
        label : "Custom qx.Website widget"
      },

      // factory method
      custom: function(label) {
        var custom =  new Custom(this);
        if (label) {
          custom.setConfig("label", label);
        }
        custom.init(); // initialize the widget
        custom.render();

        return custom;

    members: {
      // apply custom config, templates, etc.
      render: function() {
        this.setHtml(this.getConfig("label"));

    defer: function(statics) {
      // attach factory method to q()
      q.$attach({custom : statics.custom});

  q.create("<div>").custom("My awesome widget").appendTo(document.body);
});

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Daniel

On 12.02.2015 08:54, Leo von Klenze wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Thank you for the hint but I'm talking about Website widgets not Desktop.
>
> Therefore I've no application class where to reference my new widget.
>
> Thank you!
> Leo
>
> John Spackman <[hidden email]> schrieb:
>> Creating a new widget is as simple as just writing a new class and
>> using it; you have to re-run the generator each time you reference a
>> new class, but it will find it automatically and include it into your
>> application. Contribs are not automatically added but it’s a simple
>> process - see this page
>> http://manual.qooxdoo.org/current/pages/development/contrib.html for
>> how to. If you want help on how to write a widget from scratch, here’s
>> a useful starting point:
>> http://manual.qooxdoo.org/current/pages/desktop/ui_develop.html John >
>> On 11 Feb 2015, at 21:51, Leo von Klenze wrote: > > Hello, > > I've
>> created a Website using create-application.pb -t Website and want > to
>> add own widgets. > > I assumed to modify config.json but unfortunately
>> I haven't found any > information on how to do this. Is such
>> information missing in the manual? > > Do you have any suggestions? > >
>> Thank you! > Best regards, > Leo > >
>> is your > hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly
>> thought > leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and
>> more. Take a > look and join the conversation now.
>> http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/ >
>> your hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly
>> thought leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and
>> more. Take a look and join the conversation now.
>> http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/

Re: Creating own widgets in qx.Website

Leo von Klenze-2
Hi Daniel,

thank you, that helped a lot! Got some widget working!

How do I add other framework classes or even my own classes to the
build? I would prefer to get a single .min.js file in the end. I've
tried to set QXWEB_ALL in config.json and put my files into
source/class/... (like in a deskop application) but that didn't work.

Thank you!
Best regards,
   Leo

On 13.02.2015 10:01, Daniel Wagner wrote:

> [...]
>>> http://manual.qooxdoo.org/current/pages/desktop/ui_develop.html John >
>>> On 11 Feb 2015, at 21:51, Leo von Klenze wrote: > > Hello, > > I've
>>> created a Website using create-application.pb -t Website and want > to
>>> add own widgets. > > I assumed to modify config.json but unfortunately
>>> I haven't found any > information on how to do this. Is such
>>> information missing in the manual? > > Do you have any suggestions? > >
>>> Thank you! > Best regards, > Leo > >
>>> is your > hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly
>>> thought > leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and
>>> more. Take a > look and join the conversation now.
>>> http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/ >
>>> your hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly
>>> thought leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and
>>> more. Take a look and join the conversation now.

Overriding QXWEB_ALL should work for framework classes, have you
verified that?
As for your custom code, I'd look into using an external tool (e.g. a
Grunt plugin) to minify and concat your .js files. That's the use case
qx.Website was more or less designed around.
AFAIK, the qooxdoo generator won't recognize classes created with
q.define, so even if you added a Manifest.json to your website app and
overrode the "libraries" key in the build job, they wouldn't be included
in the generated script.