CheckBox fields and readOnly

Benjamin Dreux
Hi

I just went throu the documentation of the checkbox class
(http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/apiviewer/#qx.ui.form.CheckBox)
I discovered that there is no property readOnly.

The documentation of qx.ui.form.Textfield says that this property
(readOnly) come from abtractField.

I wondering why there is no suck property in the checkBox class?
Is there a real reason for this? If not i will open a bug report.

Benjamin Dreux
Analyste-Programmeur
Chaire de logiciel libre-Finance Social et solidaire
UQAM
Montréal

Re: CheckBox fields and readOnly

Daniel Wagner
Administrator
Hi Benjamin,

I don't know for sure, but my guess is qooxdoo is mimicking HTML, where
the 'readonly' attribute is only supported on text and password input
elements.
For checkboxes and radio buttons, there's the 'disabled' attribute, the
qooxdoo equivalent of which would be the 'enabled' property. Unlike
readonly, This causes the element to be visually "greyed out" both in qx
and HTML, but IMO that's a good thing, as you don't want to mislead
users into clicking an element only to find out it doesn't react.

Regards,
Daniel

On 01/17/2012 03:27 PM, Benjamin Dreux wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just went throu the documentation of the checkbox class
> (http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/apiviewer/#qx.ui.form.CheckBox)
> I discovered that there is no property readOnly.
>
> The documentation of qx.ui.form.Textfield says that this property
> (readOnly) come from abtractField.
>
> I wondering why there is no suck property in the checkBox class?
> Is there a real reason for this? If not i will open a bug report.
>

> Regards

Re: CheckBox fields and readOnly

Benjamin Dreux
But then why mimick the readOnly behavior ?
IMO since textField can be readOnly, the other form field have the
same behavior.
It will facilitate the understanding of the ui framework.

Le 17 janvier 2012 10:21, Daniel Wagner <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Benjamin,
>
> I don't know for sure, but my guess is qooxdoo is mimicking HTML, where
> the 'readonly' attribute is only supported on text and password input
> elements.
> For checkboxes and radio buttons, there's the 'disabled' attribute, the
> qooxdoo equivalent of which would be the 'enabled' property. Unlike
> readonly, This causes the element to be visually "greyed out" both in qx
> and HTML, but IMO that's a good thing, as you don't want to mislead
> users into clicking an element only to find out it doesn't react.
>

> Regards,
> Daniel
>
> On 01/17/2012 03:27 PM, Benjamin Dreux wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I just went throu the documentation of the checkbox class
>> (http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/apiviewer/#qx.ui.form.CheckBox)
>> I discovered that there is no property readOnly.
>>
>> The documentation of qx.ui.form.Textfield says that this property
>> (readOnly) come from abtractField.
>>
>> I wondering why there is no suck property in the checkBox class?
>> Is there a real reason for this? If not i will open a bug report.
>>

>> Regards

Benjamin Dreux
Analyste-Programmeur
Chaire de logiciel libre-Finance Social et solidaire
UQAM
Montréal

Re: CheckBox fields and readOnly

Benjamin Dreux
I added a bug report for this, as an enhancement
Bug 6051

Regards

--
Benjamin Dreux
Analyste-Programmeur
Chaire de logiciel libre-Finance Social et solidaire
UQAM
Montréal

Re: CheckBox fields and readOnly

Dietrich Streifert
Hello everybody!

Daniel closed the bug report for lack of use cases.

Here is our use case:

We have a huge qx.ui.form.Form and renderers based on
qx.ui.form.renderer.AbstractRenderer with a lot of radiobuttons and checkboxes.

The resulting rendered form widget is used (via model, controller et.al.) to
retreive the form content from the backend which works perfect.

Based on the access rights of the current user the form is in a editable or a
readonly state so we would like to use the same form for viewing data without
allowing the user to change the contents or states of the form fields.

It would be a tremendous work to create another form widget for viewing the
data readonly eg. by replacing radiobuttons and checkboxes by simple images
because we have then to implement another stack for getting the data from the
backend to the readonly form widget.

Please consider the implementation of readonly buttons.

Regards
Dietrich

Am 17.01.2012 16:37, schrieb Benjamin Dreux:

> I added a bug report for this, as an enhancement
> Bug 6051
>
> Regards
>
> Le 17 janvier 2012 10:31, Benjamin Dreux <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> But then why mimick the readOnly behavior ?
>> IMO since textField can be readOnly, the other form field have the
>> same behavior.
>> It will facilitate the understanding of the ui framework.
>>

>> Le 17 janvier 2012 10:21, Daniel Wagner <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>> Hi Benjamin,
>>>
>>> I don't know for sure, but my guess is qooxdoo is mimicking HTML, where
>>> the 'readonly' attribute is only supported on text and password input
>>> elements.
>>> For checkboxes and radio buttons, there's the 'disabled' attribute, the
>>> qooxdoo equivalent of which would be the 'enabled' property. Unlike
>>> readonly, This causes the element to be visually "greyed out" both in qx
>>> and HTML, but IMO that's a good thing, as you don't want to mislead
>>> users into clicking an element only to find out it doesn't react.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Daniel

>> --
>> Benjamin Dreux
>> Analyste-Programmeur
>> Chaire de logiciel libre-Finance Social et solidaire
>> UQAM
>> Montréal

Re: CheckBox fields and readOnly

Fink, Andreas-2
Hi Dietrich,

a simple workaround could be to use your own extended checkbox or button that implements the readonly property.
Your apply method could look like this:

_applyReadOnly : function(value) {
    this.setEnabled(!value);

Andreas

MartinWittemann
Hey,
I agree with Daniel in closing the bug. A read only checkbox is a disabled check box. I think the user should see and know that he can not change the value but he can read it. Thats the basic idea of the enabled property. If you think different, you might either change the theme of the checkbox or extend the current checkbox and implement the readonly property yourself. Both ways can he handle with an acceptable effort. If you need any changes in the checkbox e.g. a private which should be protected, let me know. Thats something we can change easily.
Regards,
Martin

Am 26.11.2012 um 13:57 schrieb Dietrich Streifert <[hidden email]>:

> Hello everybody!
>
> Daniel closed the bug report for lack of use cases.
>
> Here is our use case:
>
> We have a huge qx.ui.form.Form and renderers based on
> qx.ui.form.renderer.AbstractRenderer with a lot of radiobuttons and checkboxes.
>
> The resulting rendered form widget is used (via model, controller et.al.) to
> retreive the form content from the backend which works perfect.
>
> Based on the access rights of the current user the form is in a editable or a
> readonly state so we would like to use the same form for viewing data without
> allowing the user to change the contents or states of the form fields.
>
> It would be a tremendous work to create another form widget for viewing the
> data readonly eg. by replacing radiobuttons and checkboxes by simple images
> because we have then to implement another stack for getting the data from the
> backend to the readonly form widget.
>
> Please consider the implementation of readonly buttons.
>
> Regards
> Dietrich
>
> Am 17.01.2012 16:37, schrieb Benjamin Dreux:
>> I added a bug report for this, as an enhancement
>> Bug 6051
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Le 17 janvier 2012 10:31, Benjamin Dreux <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>> But then why mimick the readOnly behavior ?
>>> IMO since textField can be readOnly, the other form field have the
>>> same behavior.
>>> It will facilitate the understanding of the ui framework.

>>> --
>>> Benjamin Dreux
>>> Analyste-Programmeur
>>> Chaire de logiciel libre-Finance Social et solidaire
>>> UQAM
>>> Montréal

Re: CheckBox fields and readOnly

Dietrich Streifert
Thank you Martin and Andreas,

I've allready implemented what Is needed for my purposes. I've
implemented readonly states in my themes appearance part, created the
readonly properties for check and radioboxes, inhibited focusing. The
last part is still missing: icons (for the aristo theme) which
visually represent the readonly states of checked/unchecked buttons.

Anyway I still see the use case for this: disabling checkboxes and
radiobuttons puts a gray haze over the widgets, including their
labels, which makes them poorly readable. The user should have good
readability and the visual representation of the "value not changeable
but readable" state.

Regards
Dietrich

Am 26.11.2012 um 17:38 schrieb Martin Wittemann <[hidden email]>:

> Hey,
> I agree with Daniel in closing the bug. A read only checkbox is a disabled check box. I think the user should see and know that he can not change the value but he can read it. Thats the basic idea of the enabled property. If you think different, you might either change the theme of the checkbox or extend the current checkbox and implement the readonly property yourself. Both ways can he handle with an acceptable effort. If you need any changes in the checkbox e.g. a private which should be protected, let me know. Thats something we can change easily.
> Regards,
> Martin
>

> Am 26.11.2012 um 13:57 schrieb Dietrich Streifert <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> Daniel closed the bug report for lack of use cases.
>>
>> Here is our use case:
>>
>> We have a huge qx.ui.form.Form and renderers based on
>> qx.ui.form.renderer.AbstractRenderer with a lot of radiobuttons and checkboxes.
>>
>> The resulting rendered form widget is used (via model, controller et.al.) to
>> retreive the form content from the backend which works perfect.
>>
>> Based on the access rights of the current user the form is in a editable or a
>> readonly state so we would like to use the same form for viewing data without
>> allowing the user to change the contents or states of the form fields.
>>
>> It would be a tremendous work to create another form widget for viewing the
>> data readonly eg. by replacing radiobuttons and checkboxes by simple images
>> because we have then to implement another stack for getting the data from the
>> backend to the readonly form widget.
>>
>> Please consider the implementation of readonly buttons.
>>
>> Regards
>> Dietrich
>>
>> Am 17.01.2012 16:37, schrieb Benjamin Dreux:
>>> I added a bug report for this, as an enhancement
>>> Bug 6051
>>>
>>> Regards

Re: CheckBox fields and readOnly

MartinWittemann
Administrator
Hey,
> Anyway I still see the use case for this: disabling checkboxes and
> radiobuttons puts a gray haze over the widgets, including their
> labels, which makes them poorly readable. The user should have good
> readability and the visual representation of the "value not changeable
> but readable" state.
But thats a different point. If its only about the look of the widgets, its a topic we should not solve in the code base and "invent" a new property which does literally the same as disabled except the theming. It's something we should solve in the theme and make the components readable even in the disable state.
I just checked all 4 themes we have and wonder where you think its poorly readable. The labels of all input field turn gray on disabled as the icons. Where do you see the problems?
Regards,
Martin

Re: CheckBox fields and readOnly

Dietrich Streifert
I've just checked

http://demo.qooxdoo.org/devel/demobrowser/index.html#ui~FormInvalids.html

and I still think the readability is poor on disabled state (by pressing
the disabled button in the demo).
This changes a little bit from theme to theme from indigo being less
readable to modern being better readable compared to the non-disabled state.

I'm using Aristo theme where the "gray haze" is even more distinctive.

And I think we do not invent a new property or a new visual state.
readonly is there and would perfectly fit the needs.

But this may depend on customer needs and personal perception.

Regards
Dietrich

Am 27.11.2012 08:07, schrieb Martin Wittemann:

> Hey,
>> Anyway I still see the use case for this: disabling checkboxes and
>> radiobuttons puts a gray haze over the widgets, including their
>> labels, which makes them poorly readable. The user should have good
>> readability and the visual representation of the "value not changeable
>> but readable" state.
> But thats a different point. If its only about the look of the widgets, its a topic we should not solve in the code base and "invent" a new property which does literally the same as disabled except the theming. It's something we should solve in the theme and make the components readable even in the disable state.
> I just checked all 4 themes we have and wonder where you think its poorly readable. The labels of all input field turn gray on disabled as the icons. Where do you see the problems?
> Regards,
> Martin

Re: CheckBox fields and readOnly

Florin Jurcovici
I don't know if this works, but IMO you could try it. Why don't you
simply not bother with editable/readonly at the level of each
individual form element, and just put a blocker with opacity == 0 on
top of the form when it has to be read-only? IMO this also provides a
nicer separation of concerns/single point of control for the read-only
vs editable decision.

Re: CheckBox fields and readOnly

Dietrich Streifert
Thank you for your answer Florian,

But as I wrote before it's all solved form me, but I'm trying to
convince others that this is a use case and may be implemented in the
core ui.

I've additionally created decorators which visualize the readonly state
for textarea, textfield, combobox etc. to allow users to distinguish
between disabled, readonly and normal state.

Regards
Dietrich