Advice to start a project

Frédéric
Hi!

I'm still reading the docs, and just made a simple test with qooxdoo... Now it's time to start a real
project. But I need advice!

My goal is to make a home automation client interface to control a KNX-based system. The server part
will be based on my python framework, pKNyX¹.

I would like to make something a little bit different than existing clients: the GUI will be
automatically built using a config sent by the server (json format).

The client interface will be mobile/tablet oriented, and will be very simple, based on pages/lists. Some
widgets in the lists will be as simple as buttons, but some others can be a little more complex
(button+icon with light state handling, spinbutton...).

Here is a little example of a json file sent by the server (first draft):

{
  "objects": [
    {
      "id": "light_1_paul_bedroom",
      "type": "light",
      "room": "Paul bedroom",
      "dptid": "1.001",
      "gad": "1/1/0",
      "listener": "1/2/0",
      "label": "Light 1"
    },
      "id": "light_2_paul_bedroom",
      "type": "light",
      "room": "Paul bedroom",
      "dptid": "1.001",
      "gad": "1/1/1",
      "listener": "1/2/1",
      "label": "Light 2"
    }
  ]
}

The idea is to give all informations needed to build the GUI. There will be a main page:

  Main
    Rooms
    Lights

The 'Rooms' button will drive to a sub-page:

  Rooms
    Paul bedroom

The 'Paul bedroom' button will drive to another sub-page:

  Paul bedroom
    Light 1

Here, 'Light 1' is a custom button to toggle the light, with a nice feedback icon.

The 'Lights' button of the main page will drive to another sub-page:

  Lights
    Light 1 Paul bedroom

And so on. This is just an example; it will be possible to dynamically build any kind of tree, with more
or less deep.

All widgets (buttons, here), will send orders to the KNX bus, through the server, and should be updated
as soon as a change occurs on the bus (polling is OK).

This is my first javascript framework use, and I'm a bit lost with all available tools and ways to do
it :o/ So, I would like to have some advice about the global architecture I should use to have something
clean, easy to improve (adding new composite widgets for list entries), and easy to maintain.

Thanks for reading.

¹ http://www.pknyx.org

--
    Frédéric

Re: Advice to start a project

Frédéric
Le 03/02/2015, Frédéric a écrit :

> I'm still reading the docs, and just made a simple test with qooxdoo... Now it's time to start a real
> project. But I need advice!

Ok, I finally took the 'mobileshowcase' demo as starting point, as it is very close to what I want to do.

Just a question: the online version is different than the one provided with the SDK (v4.1). For example,
the online first 2 basic widgets have a label (Enable and Wrap), but the SDK version does not.

How do I add such label? Is it possible to have a look at the online source code?

    Frédéric

Re: Advice to start a project

Daniel Wagner
Administrator
The Mobile Showcase in the SDK should look exactly like the online demo.
Did you get any warnings about SCSS compilation when generating the SDK app?

The labels can be configured via constructor parameters:

http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/apiviewer/#qx.ui.mobile.form.ToggleButton

The latest version of the Showcase source code is here:
https://github.com/qooxdoo/qooxdoo/tree/master/application/mobileshowcase/source/class/mobileshowcase

On 05.02.2015 09:14, Frédéric wrote:

> Le 03/02/2015, Frédéric a écrit :
>
>> I'm still reading the docs, and just made a simple test with qooxdoo... Now it's time to start a real
>> project. But I need advice!
>
> Ok, I finally took the 'mobileshowcase' demo as starting point, as it is very close to what I want to do.
>
> Just a question: the online version is different than the one provided with the SDK (v4.1). For example,
> the online first 2 basic widgets have a label (Enable and Wrap), but the SDK version does not.
>
> How do I add such label? Is it possible to have a look at the online source code?
>
> Thanks,

Re: Advice to start a project

Frédéric
Le 05/02/2015, Daniel a écrit :

> The Mobile Showcase in the SDK should look exactly like the online demo.
> Did you get any warnings about SCSS compilation when generating the SDK app?

My mistake: I was pointing to the wrong version (still have the 4.0.1 on my disc) :o/

Sorry for the noise...

> The labels can be configured via constructor parameters:

I was asking about the label at the begining of the line (Enable and Wrap). Now that I'm looking to the
right code (!), I found that they are created using a form, which handles these labels.

Thanks!

--
    Frédéric